Chief Development Officer
About the Opportunity
As a member of PBS North Carolina’s Senior Executive Team, reporting to the Chief Executive Officer (CEO), the PBS NC Chief Development Officer (CDO) establishes the strategic direction and leads the tactical implementation of all fundraising activities for PBS NC. This highly agile and entrepreneurial role is the station’s senior fundraising expert and is responsible for raising unrestricted revenue for general operations, restricted revenue to support specific projects and initiatives, and campaign giving for long-term, sustainable growth. As a member of the executive team, the CDO collaborates with PBS NC stakeholders and staff to determine and prioritize PBS NC’s needs and opportunities, develops and implements fundraising strategies to meet those requirements and possibilities, and is responsible for improving overall fundraising outcomes for the organization.
Working with a professional and experienced team currently comprised of five direct reports and approximately 25-30 team members, the CDO will drive station-wide advancement and fundraising functions including:
- individual giving through memberships, annual fund, and on-air-fundraising;
- philanthropic giving through major, principle, and planned giving
- corporate support through underwriting and project partnerships
- comprehensive campaign giving, and
- foundation and government support.
The CDO will also serve as a liaison with the 501(c)3 North Carolina Foundation for Public Television, Inc., a non-profit organization dedicated to fundraising for PBS NC and promoting the station’s services throughout the state. The CDO is charged with working with PBS NC’s staff, the Board of Trustees, and the Foundation Directors to instill a culture of philanthropy that spans across the organization to support revenue goals.
Building upon PBS NC’s history of collaboration, the CDO will strengthen, identify, and establish partnerships with mission-aligned organizations that enable the organization to advance, promote, and support its public service mission, including state agencies, private corporations, educational and cultural institutions, not-for-profit organizations, foundations, and communities. This public-facing senior executive will play a significant role in converting current and new PBS NC’s audience members into donors. The CDO will also assume other PBS NC duties when necessary and as assigned by PBS NC CEO.
The CDO will oversee the Division’s internal business operations including:
- Ensuring the organization adheres to all federal, state, and university policies, procedures, and regulations regarding gifts and contributions.
- Providing effective fiscal stewardship of the division budget as well as endowments and restricted funds.
- Budgeting, financial forecasting, and cash flow for the division.
- Working directly with the CEO, senior staff, board of trustees, Foundation board members, outside partners, and other stakeholders to support the development and implementation of a comprehensive campaign, as appropriate.
- Maintaining internal controls and safeguards for receipt of revenue, accounting of costs, and reporting and management of program budgets and actual expenditures.
This position may be eligible for a hybrid work arrangement, consistent with PBS NC policy. PBS NC employees are generally required to reside in North Carolina, within a 2-hour commuting distance of their assigned duty station.
About PBS North Carolina
At PBS North Carolina, our mission is to provide transformational experiences and trusted content to educate, inform, entertain and inspire the people of North Carolina. Providing free content across our four channels (PBS NC, The Explorer Channel, Rootle – PBS Kids, and The North Carolina Channel) to more than 13.6 million households, PBS North Carolina serves the third largest public media market in the country. Beyond the screen, PBS North Carolina provides education services, teacher trainings, and hands-on community involvement across the state of North Carolina. For more information, visit pbsnc.org and join the conversation by connecting with us at Facebook.com/MyPBSNC, Twitter.com/mypbsnc, and Instagram.com/mypbsnc
About the Team
The PBS North Carolina Growth Division’s mission is to expand and diversify revenue sources to drive sustainable growth for the organization. The division accomplishes this by generating solicitations and campaigns based in both emotion and intelligence, heart and data.
Minimum Education, Experience, and Skills
Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field and 7+ years of professional experience in revenue-generating, preferably in a non-profit environment.
- Strategic & Collaborative: The CDO is a true thought partner for the growth leadership and senior executive teams; enjoys formulating aggressive goals and designing innovative, yet practical methods for achieving them; fosters a respectful and collaborative work environment; is a skilled listener who is effective at giving and receiving feedback and critique.
- Adaptive & Transparent: The CDO is able to manage multiple priorities, projects, and deliverables; enjoys working both independently and in teams; collaborates to empower others; shares information and uses an open and inclusive decision-making style.
- Confident & Direct: The CDO is comfortable and effective working with senior executives and major philanthropists; employs a communication style that is sensible, concise, and focused.
- Proactive & Analytical: The CDO demonstrates strong personal initiative and the ability to drive projects through to completion; uses well-researched numbers and other data points to support strategies and business plans; is able to identify trends and formulate new ideas.
- Tactful & Inclusive: patient and diplomatic; highly skilled at identifying and activating connections and relationships; leads with an equitable approach that respects and recognizes diverse perspectives.
Preferred Education, Experience, and Skills
- Master’s degree preferred; exceptional professional experience will be considered.
- Direct experience in major gifts, foundation and corporate support, direct mail and multi-channel fundraising, capital campaigns, fundraising events, and planned giving.
- Direct experience building and managing teams to achieve revenue targets.
- Demonstrated results in designing, pitching, and closing major business development opportunities or philanthropic gifts.
- Direct experience and demonstrated success in leading a multi-faceted comprehensive campaign with significant revenue goals and a related portfolio of contacts.
- Solid understanding of the sales cycle and/or fundraising strategies, systems, and processes.
- Experienced in constructing, articulating, and implementing strategic growth plans.
- Prior direct responsibility for cultivating, soliciting, and stewarding prospects.
- Excellent interpersonal skills; positive attitude; ability to interact and develop rapport with people with varied backgrounds/interests.
- Direct supervisory experience consisting of hiring employees, completing annual evaluations, managing performance management, and assigning duties.
- Experience in a public media environment is a plus.
- Proficiency with Microsoft 365 applications and services such as Word, Excel, Outlook, and Teams
Please apply online at https://northcarolina.csod.com/ux/ats/careersite/4/home/requisition/248
Classification: Senior Director
Appointment Type: Permanent
Employment Type: EHRA
EHRA Category: SAAO (Tier II)
Recruitment Salary Range: $150K to $185K, plus possible annual performance bonus and relocation
Location: Research Triangle Park (RTP), NC USA
Position Number: 20003589
Special Instructions to Applicants: The position remains open until filled, but applications received by January 9, 2023, will be given priority consideration. For questions or additional information about this opportunity, please contact executive recruiter, Anne Schwarz, at email@example.com
Salary is $150K to $185K, plus possible annual performance bonus and relocation.
Equal Employment Opportunity and Other Information
The UNC System Office (includes PBS NC, NCSEAA, and NC Arboretum) is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, disability, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or status as a protected veteran.
The UNC System Office (includes PBS NC, NCSEAA, and NC Arboretum) is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor.
To claim veteran’s preference, all eligible persons must indicate their eligibility as requested on the application. A DD Form 214, Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty, may be required later in the selection process.
The UNC System Office (includes PBS NC, NCSEAA, and NC Arboretum) participates in E-Verify. Federal law requires all employers to verify the identity and employment eligibility of all persons hired to work in the United States.