About the Position
The Major and Planned Gifts Officer (MPGO) is responsible for working closely with the Associate Vice Chancellor for Advancement to develop, implement and expand the major gifts program and help build a burgeoning planned giving program at the University of North Carolina School of the Arts (UNCSA). Major gifts is defined by either restricted or unrestricted gifts of $10,000 and above, to support the ongoing educational vision and operations of UNCSA. The MPGO maintains a pool of major and planned giving prospects, and actively works in all aspects of the major gift cycle, which include prospect identification, qualification, cultivation, solicitation and stewardship. The MPGO closely consults and works collaboratively with key volunteers, advancement staff and other School representatives to cultivate and solicit major gifts for School-wide priorities. This position is also responsible for leading and reinvigorating the Planned Giving Program (Encore Circle). This position reports directly to the Associate Vice Chancellor for Advancement.
Description of Work
Research and Planning:
- Directly responsible for creating, developing and managing a portfolio of 100-125 prospects and donors;
- Develop a prospect research plan with the Associate Vice Chancellor for Advancement to
identify new prospects, reengage and renew lapsed major and planned gift donors;
- Reinvigorate UNCSA’s planned giving society (Encore) by developing updated policies and procedures and updating current and creating new communication materials;
- Research and collect data on major and planned gift prospects and current donors in order to more clearly understand interests, capacity and giving priorities;
- Utilize technology to increase information base and analysis on prospects/donors (including Wealth Engine and Raisers Edge as well as other available services);
- Maintain knowledge of current tax laws, investments and planned giving opportunities;
- Stays up-to-date with institutional and departmental priorities and programs.
- Develop a multi-year plan to grow the planned giving program at UNCSA
- Establish appointments with prospects and donors;
- Develop appropriate cultivation strategies for prospects and, including working with volunteers; assist Associate Vice Chancellor for Advancement with creating metrics to meet fundraising goals;
- Serve as the lead for executing the planned giving program, staying well-informed with current trends and topics and share this information with Advancement staff;
- Solicit and secure major and planned gifts, seeking assistance from leadership as appropriate;
- Create “moves management” plan that transports potential and current donors along the giving cycle;
- Identify best peer solicitors to assist with advancing prospects and current donors;
- Develop and maintain, in partnership with the Advancement team, a stewardship plan for major donors.
- Create monthly moves management reports on major gift prospects to share with Associate Vice Chancellor for Advancement;
- Collaborate with the UNCSA Foundation to ensure appropriate gift documentation
- Enter contact reports in Raiser’s Edge promptly (to be determined in consultation with supervisor);
- Ensure key players are up-to-date on new information regarding major donor contacts;
- Oversee all planned giving initiatives;
- Ensure that major donors are properly acknowledged by various key players in the solicitation process;
- Manage Encore Circle activities and communications.
Bachelor’s Degree and a minimum of five years of experience in individual giving and planned giving, with strong experience and proven track record in the major gift process and environment, including soliciting and securing gifts at this level. Must have excellent interpersonal skills and a demonstrated record of completing assignments.
A high level of written and oral communication skills; demonstrated experience working with a donor-centric approach and closing gifts at the $10,000 and above level; ability to creatively persuade, as well as to listen to prospects and find solutions to obstacles and complex problems surfaced in the major gift cycle. Strong awareness and interest in evolving trends and developments in major gift and planned giving best practices that could be incorporated at UNCSA. Knowledge of “moves management” and the ability to strategically craft and implement a successful major gift plan, involving key players and influencers in the process of raising major gifts. The candidate must be self-motivated as well as understand the importance of working with all members of the Advancement team for benefit of the School. An affinity for the goals and mission of UNCSA and a passion for supporting the arts are an integral component of the Major and Planned Gifts Officer position. Must be willing to travel and be available evenings and weekends. Campaign experience desirable.
All applicants should complete the application process at https://employment.uncsa.edu/postings/4678