Essential Job Duties:
Reporting to the Executive Director, the Director of Development (DoD) will manage and help oversee the complete range of development activities in support of the College of Engineering. This work will include leveraging NCSU’s fundraising technology and training tools (e.g. Blackbaud FPM and Plus Delta curriculum), related to major gift fundraising from individuals to achieve annual goals for meetings, solicitation and gifts closed.
Primary duties of the Director of Development include, but are not limited to:
- Serving as an active team member in the development and implementation of the College of Engineering Development Office’s short-term and long-term planning objectives;
- Identifying, qualifying, and managing a portfolio of approximately 120 prospects with a capacity to make gifts of $50,000 or more;
- Conducting at least 125 personal visits with prospects and donors per year, and participating in a minimum of 12 solicitations per year;
- Consistently meeting individual contact and fundraising goals including monthly meetings and participation in annual solicitations;
- Gaining a comprehensive understanding of the priorities of the College of Engineering as a whole, with specific focus on two engineering departments (Electrical and Computer Engineering and Nuclear Engineering), and make a persuasive oral and written case for supporting key programs;
- Developing and implementing immediate and long-range plans for enhancing the image of, and expanding major gift support for the College of Engineering;
- Developing strategic relationships among senior academic leaders, faculty, alumni, friends and campus colleagues that result in effective partnerships, alignment of donors’ philanthropic interests and increased philanthropic funding;
- Serving as lead development personnel for at least one of the College’s key geographic regions;
- Serving as a staff liaison with assigned departments and the NCSEF;
- Assisting in the administration of volunteer boards for the departments and staff one-two foundation board committees;
- Representing Engineering at College and university-wide donor events.
- Perform other duties as required or assigned.
- Attend a variety of events throughout the year.
- Regular travel and occasional night and weekend work is required.
Post-baccalaureate credentials or bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university is required as well as five or more years of progressive responsibility and experience in institutional advancement or related field such as sales, wealth management, or alumni relations.
Departmental Required Skills:
- Understanding of the major gift donor giving cycle and comfort level qualifying prospects within NCSU’s campus-wide Active Management Protocol (AMP)
- Demonstrated success in securing major gifts (6 and 7 figures) from individuals or comparable sales and marketing accounts
- Excellent judgment and ethical standards with respect to the execution of major gift fundraising
- Experience collaborating with senior colleagues and working across multiple internal constituencies
- Understanding and comfort with cold calling, negotiating, and closing deals/gifts
- Excellent interpersonal skills and relationship building skills
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Strong organizational and analytical skills, with high attention to detail
- Ability to manage competing priorities and meet deadlines
- Commitment to a collegial and collaborative team approach
- Self-motivated and driven with an entrepreneurial approach to problem-solving
- Optimism, perseverance, and a positive attitude
- Computer literacy and competency with electronic donor information systems
Preferred Experience, Skills, Training/Education:
- Experience in higher education institutional advancement
- Masters degree
- Working knowledge of donor databases and the tools used to analyze fundraising data
- Prior experience in a comprehensive capital campaign
- An understanding of the land grant, research Tier One university environment
- Familiarity with NC State University
Link to Apply: https://jobs.ncsu.edu/postings/128173