Job Title: Stewardship Intern
Hiring Pay: $15/hr for 10-12 weeks (Start date mid to late May and end date in August)
Location: Triangle Region including Durham, Orange, Wake, Chatham, Johnston, and Lee Counties
*Hybrid position – in the field and remote computer work (must be local)
Reports to: Stewardship Staff, Hannah Royal, and Matt Rutledge
Deadline to Apply: May 12, 2023
Paid Summer Stewardship Intern for 2023
Triangle Land Conservancy (TLC) is an accredited land trust serving a 6-county area in the Triangle region of North Carolina. TLC strives to create a healthier and more vibrant region by safeguarding clean water, protecting natural habitats, supporting local farms and food, and connecting people with nature through land protection and stewardship, catalyzing community action, and collaboration.
TLC’s Stewardship Department seeks a graduate-level or senior undergraduate-level intern for Summer 2023. This position would contribute to and support the organization’s stewardship department through a variety of tasks in the field and from the computer. The Stewardship department is responsible for managing conservation easements, public nature preserves, and numerous other TLC-owned properties.
The position would be responsible for:
- Monitoring conservation easements and TLC-owned properties through field visits
- Assist land management staff with workdays and other land management tasks
o Invasive species removal, trail building, infrastructure maintenance
- Create baseline documentation reporting on new easements and fee acquisition properties
o Generate property-specific maps in ArcGIS Pro to represent site characteristics
o Field visits to document properties with photographs and make note of flora and fauna species present
- Engage in additional TLC activities based on intern interests
o Additional stewardship or land protection projects, education/outreach/communications, TLC events, grant writing
- Basic proficiency in ArcGIS Pro to source data and compile property maps
- Comfort being outdoors independently in a variety of terrains and conditions
- Ability to do physical labor
Send your resume and a cover letter that answers the following questions/prompts:
- Why are you interested in interning with Triangle Land Conservancy?
- How would this experience apply to your future career goals?
- Any relevant experience
To Hannah Royal (firstname.lastname@example.org) and cc Matt Rutledge (email@example.com) with the subject “Stewardship Intern”.