Senior Communications Manager
Job Title: Senior Communications Manager
Salary Range: $55,000
Location: Hybrid – HQ office Durham & remote
Reports to: Director of Advancement
Application Deadline: May 26, 2023
Triangle Land Conservancy (TLC) is an accredited and well-respected land trust, having protected more than 23,000 acres in the rapidly growing Triangle region of North Carolina. Since 1983, TLC has conserved land to safeguard drinking water, support family farms and the local food economy, protect important natural habitats and connect people with nature. TLC is currently headquartered in vibrant downtown Durham, although most staff are working remotely. This is an exciting time to work at TLC as we are seeing a dramatic increase in the use of our public nature preserves and growth in community support for our mission. TLC is doubling the pace of conservation in the Triangle and will conserve 25,000 acres by 2025 as outlined in our Strategic Action Plan.
TLC seeks to attract candidates who support our mission and values as well as respect and promote excellence through diversity. To this end, TLC recruits, hires, trains, and promotes individuals without regard to color, race, religious belief, sex, marital status, sexual orientation, national or ethnic origin, disability, veteran status, or age. To learn more about TLC, please visit our website www.triangleland.org
We strongly encourage applications from people who have a passion for the work outlined below, even if their professional experience does not align perfectly with the expectations listed. TLC has a generous support system that includes a mix of paid professional development opportunities as well as training and support from fellow staff members.
The Senior Communications Manager (SCM) reports to the Director of Advancement and is responsible for ensuring that TLC’s marketing, communications, and public engagement is tightly integrated in support of TLC’s mission of land protection, stewardship, community engagement, and fundraising. The SCM must be an excellent writer who develops and implements creative, compelling marketing, communication, and public relations projects. This position requires exceptional project management
and decision-making ability in a fast-paced, deadline-oriented environment.
The SCM uses industry best practices to define and implement strategic and daily production of TLC’s communications efforts that deepen ties with our community and inspire increased engagement and financial support for our work. This position manages the communications processes for TLC and ensures consistency of messaging and alignment with TLC’s mission and 2025 strategic action plan. This
position supervises the Communications Associate and works closely with staff across the entire organization as well as contractors and volunteers.
Key Responsibilities of the Senior Communications Manager
1. Develop and implement TLC’s Communication Plan, internal and external communications strategies to increase community engagement and support for TLC’s mission.
2. Create and distribute regular content about TLC’s work and mission:
- Write compelling content and solicit/edit content from staff, volunteers, board, and community members.
- Direct design of organizational products, working with graphic designers and staff.
- Manage production of print communications including newsletter, kiosk signage,
brochures, mailings, and maintain relationships with local printing companies and graphic designers who will assist with projects.
- Oversee production of electronic communications including e-newsletters, social media, website articles, and occasional fundraising campaigns.
3. Lead TLC’s online presence to ensure content is current, comprehensive, and compelling:
- Manage all aspects of TLC’s website and update website design/content when needed.
- Oversee, interpret, and report website and social media analytics. Administer Google Analytics and Ads account.
- Research and implement best practices for website management, social media, and other digital communications and marketing strategies.
4. Build and maintain relationships with local media:
- Expertly write and edit ad copy, press releases, and media alerts.
- Pitch stories to local media to increase TLC’s profile in the community.
5. Market TLC events and initiatives:
- Develop and monitor strategies for promoting TLC events and initiatives inclusive of, but not limited to, print and electronic promotional materials.
- Develop and edit presentations; develop and distribute talking points.
- Lead TLC’s marketing and branding efforts.
6. Supervision & Management
- “Own” the workflow between yourself, the Communications Associate, contractors, interns, and the rest of the team to meet strategic communication objectives.
- Detailed management of a wide variety of communications projects and tactics.
- Supervise and support Communications Associate. Manage volunteers and interns.
Essential Experience, Technical Skills, and Competencies
- BA/BS and 6-9 years of communications-related experience preferred with a specific affinity for environmental-focused work.
- Familiarity with conservation, the Triangle, and land trusts is a plus.
- Exceptional writer, proofreader, and storyteller.
- Experience with nonprofit communications, audience growth, and marketing.
- Experience supervising or managing interns or employees.
- Proficient in the use of social media channels such as Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn as well as analytics tools to shape engagement. Familiar with Google Analytics and Google Ads.
- Proficient in using MailChimp (or similar), WordPress (or similar), Microsoft Office, and general experience with other online communications tools.
- General experience using Adobe Creative Suite, especially InDesign. Canva experience desired.
- Competent, passionate, and current in the effective utilization of print materials and social media to galvanize support.
- Strong communicator: You demonstrate poise, diplomacy, and tact when appropriate, but have a natural tendency toward sharing joy, inspiration, excitement, and passion. You have excellent written and oral communication skills and aren’t intimidated by working on deadlines.
- Has a strong understanding of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion and a commitment to noticing how our work can be more equitable and supporting those efforts.
- Detail and deadline-oriented: You are attentive to details, and generally get it right the first time, but invite input from other staff. You are accountable.
- Go-getter: You are mature, supportive, and dependable, and can easily shift back and forth from working autonomously to working collaboratively, and desire to undertake new and varied projects and responsibilities.
- Engager: You are skilled at bringing people into a community and at making the case (emotionally, politically, economically, and socially) for why a project is relevant to a community.
- Flexible and capable: You manage to change priorities with ease and get the job done. You take projects from start to finish and anticipate changes in schedules.
- Process-oriented: You are efficient with setting up and maintaining systems to create high-quality work in collaboration with others.
- Team player: You actively support a culture where people encourage each other and work together to succeed and/or celebrate the successes of others. You ask for help when you need it and also pitch in to support others.
- Maintains a high level of professional conduct when faced with challenging or difficult situations.
- Ability to work evenings and weekends as required (not a regular occurrence).
This is a full-time permanent and exempt position with benefits; including employer-paid health, dental and vision insurance, short-term and long-term disability, paid time off, and holiday observances.
How to apply:
We are actively seeking to recruit diverse candidates for this position that enable TLC to reflect the diversity of the Triangle region. We are seeking candidates that demonstrate diversity of perspective, experience, and culture. We strongly encourage applications from Black, Indigenous, and People of Color applicants as well as any applicants who are historically underrepresented in roles like this.
Applications should be submitted via email as a single pdf to email@example.com with the subject line “Senior Communications Manager Application.” The following documents should be included:
- letter of interest
- maximum two-page resume
- 2-3 samples of work
- 3 professional references.
References will not be contacted without notifying you first. All applicants shall receive a confirmation email and if you are selected for an interview HR will contact you. Please no phone calls, drop-ins, paper submissions, or status updates.
Work samples: Please include 2-3 professionally produced creative content samples that you have been the lead writer – blog posts, social campaigns, newsletters, video content, etc. If you have more than one file to send, please combine them as links in a PDF document or into 1 folder using a service like Google Drive or Dropbox