Director of Development and Communications
Job Title: Director of Development and Communications
Reports to: Executive Director
FLSA Status: Exempt
Hours per Week: 40 hours
Salary: Hiring range will start at $65,000 and will be based on experience
The Hope Center at Pullen (HCP) is building a community where a history in foster care doesn’t limit a person’s future. We are an award-winning, 501(c)(3) non-profit organization founded in 2008. Our mission is to empower emerging adults who are transitioning out of foster care in Wake County with the support and connections needed for a safe and stable adulthood.
In partnership with Wake County’s foster care system, HCP’s Teen Programs engage youth living in foster care ages 13-18 to develop independent living skills. HCP’s Transition Programs serve youth ages 18-27 with a history in foster care to develop individualized strategies to help them achieve and maintain independence. HCP follows the Housing First model and utilizes trauma-informed care to ensure our clients attain and maintain housing, further their education, and achieve their career goals. For more information, visit http://www.hopecenteratpullen.org/.
Sitting on the Senior Leadership team, the Director of Development and Communications leads the organization’s fundraising and external communications efforts to increase and diversify funding while elevating the organization’s brand recognition and visibility at the community and thought-leader levels.
Reporting to the Executive Director and with the support of the Operations Manager, the Director of Development and Communications is responsible for maintaining and building relationships with funders, handling all aspects of grant applications, collaborating with Board members on fundraising strategies, and managing the Board of Directors’ Fundraising and Growth Committee to execute our annual fundraising event and year-end campaign all while inspiring community engagement through strategic external communications.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Strategic Donor Engagement 60%
• Development Strategy
- In consultation with the Executive Director, develop and execute a multiyear fundraising strategy to raise budgeted annual revenue, currently $1.2 million and growing.
- Analyze donor data to identify trends and patterns.
- Identify prospective donors whose philanthropic goals overlap with the Hope Center’s mission.
- Cultivate current donors at all levels.
- Assist Executive Director in developing and executing major gifts strategy.
- Oversee the development budget and monitor expenses.
• Grants and Contracts
- Identify and build relationships with existing and prospective corporate, government, foundation, and family foundation partners.
- Draft grant applications and assemble all necessary documentation with the support of the Operations Manager by funder deadlines.
- Coordinate with program staff to obtain program stories and data for applications and communications.
- With the support of the Operations Manager, ensure organizational compliance with grant terms and conditions, including tracking deadlines and compiling reports.
- Oversee the maintenance and organization of electronic files of funder documents for the annual audit.
• Annual Campaign and Individual Donors
- In consultation with the Executive Director, assist in developing content for the annual impact report and donor engagement materials.
- Supervise the Operations Manager’s efforts to get materials printed and mailed.
- Engage the Board in personalizing annual appeal mailing.
- Develop a communications plan for annual appeal outreach.
- Develop and execute a plan for top donor appreciation and follow-up.
External Communications and Messaging 15%
- In consultation with Executive Director and Board members, develop/revise/update communications plan that inspires community engagement in our work.
- Create and curate email, website, and social media content.
- Manage content contribution from program staff for external communications.
- Measure and report on the effectiveness of communications activities.
- Represent Hope Center at stakeholder events.
Board Fundraising and Growth Committee Management 25%
- Coordinate with the Fundraising and Growth Committee to engage and support the Board in year-round fundraising efforts.
- Raising Hope Special Event Planning
- With committee input, set strategy and manage the budget to raise $100k+ and raise
awareness of the challenges faced by youth transitioning out of foster care to inspire community involvement.
- Provide support to the Board committee and volunteers responsible for sponsorship and silent auction recruitment and guest experience.
- Identify and secure the venue, caterer, auctioneer, and volunteers required for a successful event.
o Ensure sponsors, guests, and volunteers have a delightful experience.
POSITION QUALIFICATIONS AND REQUIREMENTS:
- A Bachelor’s Degree in Communications, English, Business, Public Relations, or a related field and a minimum of 5 years working in non-profit development and communications.
- Experience with donor engagement, donor cultivation, CRM donor management systems, and grant writing.
- Excellent writing skills, and ability to produce content that engages a wide cross-section of the community.
- Commitment to amplifying youth voices.
- Understanding of nonprofit budget and financial reports.
- Displays deep interest in the foster care system and/or effects of trauma on child development.
- Flexible, creative, able to work in a small team environment, comfortable interacting with the community at large, from Board members to funder representatives, to youth leaders.
- Valid North Carolina Driver’s License and satisfactory driving record.
- Acceptable background report.
Physical Demands/Working Conditions:
- Flexible work schedule. Occasional evening and weekend hours.
- Hybrid work: Some work can be done from home. Being physically present for meetings and donor appointments is required.
- Health Care: HCP pays 100% of employee premiums and 50% of eligible dependent premiums for silver-level health care plan.
- Dental and Vision Benefits: HCP pays 80% of employee premiums and 50% of dependent premiums.
- Retirement Plan: After one-year employees begin accruing an additional 2% of their salary in an IRA account that employees can choose to contribute to pre-tax.
- Over 4 weeks of PTO/Holiday Time each year, with increases in PTO beginning after 3 years.
- Each employee has their own office in our newly renovated office space.
The Hope Center at Pullen is proactively seeking diverse candidates. Applications will be reviewed as they are received, on a rolling basis. Early submission is encouraged. Posting is open until the position is filled.
To apply, send a cover letter that outlines your alignment with the position, a resume, and references to email@example.com.
No phone call, please.