Director of Donor Engagement, Durham, North Carolina
The risk of suicide is 50% higher for veterans than for those who have not served. Since 2001, 108,000+ veterans have died by suicide. By 2030, 60,000 more lives will be lost. The problem is clear: The systems in place aren’t working. Getting help isn’t easy and trying to navigate a complicated maze of organizations and resources can be overwhelming when you’re in crisis.
Stop Soldier Suicide is the first national, veteran-founded-and-led 501(c)3 nonprofit focused on military suicide prevention. What started as a grassroots effort in 2010 has grown into a thriving organization that’s driving change, building community, and, most importantly, helping those who’ve served and sacrificed for our country. Their goal is to reduce veteran suicide by 40% by 2030, saving 2,400 lives per year.
Stop Soldier Suicide’s Wellness Center is staffed with case managers who work 1-on-1 with troops, veterans, and military families to help navigate the maze of services, programs, and assistance available based on individual assessments. Every client is provided with ongoing case management to track progress, offer support, and address any additional needs that may arise. The personalized approach ensures each client receives the help they need and the support they deserve.
To learn more, visit Stop Soldier Suicide’s website at https://stopsoldiersuicide.org/.
Reporting to the Chief Growth Officer, the Director of Donor Engagement is responsible for building an aggressive development program that engages its current donor base, attracts new partners, and builds capacity to fuel the mission. The Director will establish and expand a pipeline of donors consisting of corporate, small business, private foundation, and individual relationships to drive revenue growth and retention. This frontline fundraiser will propel fundraising growth by leading the development team and working in collaboration with leadership, marketing, and programs. The Director is mission-driven, not afraid to take risks, thrives in a fast-paced environment, and will be entrusted with the following key responsibilities:
- Responsible for building a philanthropic spirit among staff, board members, donors, and partners.
- Drive the organization’s development plan in partnership with the leadership, board, and staff.
- Develop a case for support and menu of giving opportunities in collaboration with leadership.
- Ensure the successful implementation of industry best practices in pursuit of continued excellence in all facets of resource development operations.
- Effectively communicate Stop Soldier Suicide’s strategies, solutions, and roadmap to potential partners.
- Ensure strong inter-department relations.
- Build a comprehensive development plan that complements a mission-focused, digital acquisition program.
- Oversee the identification, cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship of donors utilizing staff and board for execution.
- Manage a personal portfolio of donors resulting in direct solicitation while directing the organization’s corporate and individual pipelines.
- Cultivate and nurture relationships with current and potential corporate, foundation, and individual donors.
- Develop and implement a formal stewardship plan to further engage donors in the mission and show appreciation for their investments.
- Work with the team to support fundraising events, primarily third-party and peer-to-peer campaigns, to increase awareness, raise funds, and serve as an entry point to the organization.
- Develop a cause marketing program.
- Collaborate with the CEO to ensure proper stewardship and execution of grants.
- Build a high functioning, collaborative development team that plays to the individual and collective strengths of the team.
- Foster a culture of teamwork and accountability throughout the team, developing staff members to their highest potential.
- Maintain a positive and healthy workplace culture that attracts, retains, and motivates high-quality employees and volunteers.
- Establish annual working goals for development staff, conducting staff performance evaluations quarterly.
SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS
Stop Soldier Suicide is a fast-growing, laser-focused nonprofit organization that is a pioneer in digital impact. Their purpose is to see a day where veterans are at no greater risk of taking their lives than any other American. The Director must be committed to the mission, vision, and values of Stop Soldier Suicide. In addition, he or she should possess the following key attributes:
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution
- At least 7 years of proven leadership of a strategic, comprehensive fundraising program with success soliciting major ($25,000+) outright gifts
- Excellent philanthropic strategist, blending high-level leadership skills with tactical activities
- Ability to develop and successfully implement new, innovative philanthropic strategies
- Demonstrable success in building dynamic relationships with members of the community who can personally invest, or who can influence individual, foundation, or corporate giving. Must be capable and willing to spend significant time cultivating, soliciting, and stewarding major gifts
- Connector whose default is to engage the community to increase awareness of the organization.
- Goal-oriented and aspirational with a natural inclination to think beyond the immediate
- Decisive, diverse, and dynamic leader with high emotional intelligence and a results-driven bias toward action
- Agile with the ability to thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic environment
- Strategic thinker who can blend consulting and business strategy to develop compelling plans for new partner initiatives
- Excellent spoken and written communication, interpersonal, relationship-building skills; Ability to engage and influence c-suite executives
- Familiarity with Salesforce preferred and a solid understanding of the key role that data serves in creating a development strategy
- Proficiency in MS Office Suite applications
- Military background/experience/connection preferred
SALARY AND BENEFITS
This is a full-time, exempt position. Salary range is commensurate with experience. Stop Soldier Suicide offers a benefits package for full-time employees that includes personal time off, parental leave, military leave (as applicable), medical, dental, vision and life insurance, short and long-term disability benefit, Employee Assistance Program, and a matching retirement plan.
Armstrong McGuire & Associates, based in Raleigh, NC, is conducting this search in partnership with Stop Soldier Suicide. To apply, upload a cover letter, resume, references, and salary requirements to ArmstrongMcGuire.com/apply. In case of any technical problems, contact firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls, please, and no applications will be accepted by email or through third-party sites.
Stop Soldier Suicide actively seeks a diverse pool of candidates. Stop Soldier Suicide is committed to a policy of equal employment opportunity without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, disability, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, or age.