StepUp Durham, a nonprofit organization that assists adults seeking to transform their lives through employment and life skills training, seeks to hire a full-time Development Director for our growing office. We seek to hire a full-time development professional with a track record of personal and professional growth, as well as experience successfully driving annual campaigns, coordinating special events, securing major gifts, and cultivating foundation relationships. The Development Director will have leadership on all fundraising responsibilities for StepUp Durham’s $500K annual budget with the support and oversight of the Executive Director.
The Development Director works closely with senior leaders in the organization, including the Executive Director and Program Director, to plan and execute the organization’s development strategy. All staff members contribute to the development plan for the organization. This position is an opportunity for a driven and goal-oriented professional with excellent communication, organization, and relationship building skills to play a crucial role in ensuring the long-term success of our jobs training and social justice nonprofit.
- Raise sufficient funds to meet annual budget and quarterly targets.
- Cultivate and advance relationships that help meet the organization’s financial goals.
- Contribute critical thinking, thoughtful analysis, and helpful recommendations to the Executive Director regarding financial development.
- Establish best-practice resource development policies and systems consistent with industry standards.
- Develop and implement comprehensive resource development strategy.
- Coordinate and manage all fundraising campaigns and special events.
- Integrate high-level communication and marketing concepts that support the overall development strategy and enhance the message of StepUp Durham.
- Improve the branding and image of StepUp Durham in the Triangle-area.
- Strengthen annual fundraising by maximizing the existing donor base and cultivating new donors with point of entry events, effective marketing, and new campaigns.
- Assist in the preparation, execution and follow up from fundraising and publicity events hosted by StepUp Durham.
- Regularly engage with donors and key stakeholders in order to strengthen our support base.
- Research, identify, and connect with donor prospects to build new relationships for StepUp Durham.
- Successfully close major gifts ($10K+) from existing donors in first year.
- Establish metrics for measuring Special Events to determine returns and efficiencies.
- As a key member of the Executive Management Team, demonstrate and encourage organizational values at all times.
- Create quarterly fundraising reports and other reports as needed for the Board of Directors and Executive Director.
- Write the requested foundation and corporate grant compliance documents.
- Execute donation processing, ensuring proper record keeping, and acknowledgement for donations punctually.
- Oversee the stewardship plan for all donors.
- Assist in preparing and updating general info, foundation, donor, and media information packets.
- Acquire and maintain current knowledge of public activities, internal projects, policies, and procedures of the organization.
- Manage relationships with strong conversational skills, confidence, and attention to detail.
- Maintain proper records and data in the donor database on donors and relationships.
- Perform other duties or responsibilities as required by the Executive Director.
Qualifications & Technical Competencies
- A minimum of three years of progressively responsible experience in fundraising is required, and experience in marketing and communications is preferred
- Possessing a CFRE is preferred
- Experience with a donor database system. Familiarity with SalesForce preferred.
- High level of attention to detail.
- Highly motivated, results-oriented individual who excels in an entrepreneurial environment.
- Can do, will do attitude, self-starter
- Demonstrated will to achieve in past experiences
- Proven ability to build strong relationships with a variety of constituents
- Exceptional communicator with external and internal audiences
- Ability to close gifts with confidence
- Strong organizational, operational and management skills
- Strong writing skills, specifically regarding grant writing.
- Demonstrated success fundraising in a growing organization
- Understanding and appreciation for StepUp Durham’s mission and the ability to communicate the unique aims and values of the organization to major donors and prospects
- Experience providing leadership and direction in the implementation and maintenance of “best practice” fundraising policies and practices.
- Demonstrated ability to inspire, motivate, and influence others toward a common strategic vision and direction.
- Proven ability to build strong internal and external relationships in support of the organization’s mission and strategic goals.
- Confidence in managing differing points of view, communicating a position, and influencing change to drive growth.
Salary and Benefits
- Salary starts at $55,000
- 10 paid vacation days and all national holidays off
- Health care benefits provided through United Healthcare
- StepUp Durham offers a retirement savings program and match
How to Apply
Send a cover letter and your resume to email@example.com. No phone calls please.
About StepUp Durham
StepUp Durham is an educational employment training and placement nonprofit. Gaining employment is the first step to stability. StepUp Durham offers economically disadvantaged people a 27-hour workshop that teaches the skills needed to find and sustain employment. We also offer personalized employment counseling, job referrals, and post-employment support.
Our programs are designed for individuals experiencing challenges to finding employment, such as a criminal background or gaps in employment history. The relationship is 50/50: StepUp uses its resources to connect job seekers to StepUp employers, while participants execute the skills they have learned in our workshops to further their own independent job search. Our model is unique. In addition to providing training, we recruit employers who are willing to hire our graduates.
In 2017, we launched Step2, a multi-phased curriculum focused on personal development, financial education and career pathways. Both of these programs – employment training and placement and Step2 – are pathways to financial stability. Our employment training focuses on individuals securing employment, and Step2 supports job retention and moving individuals from entry-level employment to a career.