Assistant Director of Development
Reports to: Director of Development (DOD)
FLSA Status: Exempt
Hours: 35 per week
SECU Family House at UNC Hospitals provides a safe, nurturing, affordable home for adult patients and their loved ones who travel great distances to UNC Hospitals for life-saving procedures and the treatment of serious illnesses. We are seeking an experienced highly motivated fundraiser to coordinate our Annual Giving Campaign.
The Assistant Director of Development at Family House is responsible for the ongoing development and execution of a healthy, growing and comprehensive annual giving program, with a focus on identifying, cultivating and stewarding donors into the Luminary Society (gifts of $1,000 or more), and maintaining strong relations with existing Society members. A primary responsibility of the Assistant Director of Development is to research, prepare, submit, and manage grant proposals to foundations, corporations, community organizations and any other potential funder to whom a written proposal may be submitted. The successful candidate in this position must be able to multi-task and work independently to manage logistics for a variety of stakeholders, including Family House leadership, donors, volunteers, staff, and guests. This is a full-time position requiring flexibility to work evenings and weekend hours as needed for meetings and special events, some of which could include travel. The ideal candidate can balance a variety of issues with skill and grace, enjoys working with a team, community building and is enthusiastic and creative. A small, dynamic staff works closely to fulfill the mission, and the successful candidate will be a team player and self-starter with a positive outlook and strong work ethic.
Fundraising Annual Fund Quantitative requirements:
- 40-60 prospects
- 60 proposals for gifts
- 30 commitments
- $300,000 in gifts
- 200 personal visits
Annual Campaign Fundraising and Coordination:
- Work in partnership with Director of Development (DOD), Manager of Development Administration, and Marketing Associate to develop and implement a comprehensive annual fundraising plan integrated with both the general marketing/communications plan and with Family House events. Plan will address unique approaches to Luminary Society members and prospects, Foundation Family members, Legacy Family members, former guests, volunteers, and direct mail donors and prospects. This position will utilize Research Point and Raisers Edge NXT software tools for fundraising.
- Maintain a portfolio of 40-60 donors and prospects, establishing annual performance metrics with the DOD. Phone calls and visits are a top priority for this role, reflective of the emphasis placed on growing a strong major giving program at Family House nurtured by the annual giving program. This position will be responsible for the in-person solicitation of gifts of $1,000 and up using data-driven strategies to drive growth in annual giving, and identifying major gift prospects. Establish and manage annual performance metrics monthly.
- The Assistant Director of Development is expected to focus on managing and growing Family House’s philanthropic community through face-to-face meetings, community outreach, phone campaigns, and correspondence.
- Work with the leadership team to create follow-up plans for top donors and prospects after Family House sponsored or supported events and ensure that all relevant interactions are documented in the donor database, Raisers Edge. This position will be responsible for creating donor sponsorship strategies in support of donor-sponsored fundraising events.
- Acquire and maintain sound knowledge of SECU Family House at UNC Hospitals’ institutional history and programs and use that knowledge and understanding to better comprehend all projects and programs
- Learn Foundation Search software and use it to research grant opportunities for Family House
- Lead an effective grants management process to include overseeing a grants calendar, sourcing budget and program details, tracking program of outcomes and ensuring submission and reporting deadlines are met
- Compile, write, and submit all grant proposals and follow-up reports exhibiting strong expository writing skills and a high-level command of grammar and spelling.
- Develop individual grant proposals in accordance with each funder’s preferences and follow exactly each grant-makers guideline.
- Collaborate with appropriate staff to gather information to grasp the concept of, and compellingly articulate in a proposal, the project or program for which funding is sought.
- Connect key Development staff with foundation officers and other prospects; arrange for onsite tours for supporters.
- Coordinate Stewardship plan for donors across all giving platforms
- Assist as needed in Planned Giving and Capital Giving Campaign efforts
- Set a tone for community outreach that is both engaging and effective
- Serves as liaison to the community through a variety of channels, including Chamber of Commerce, UNC Hospitals, University Athletics, Chapel Hill/Carrboro communities, SECU branches
- Identifies and engages outreach into the community in conjunction with all Family House staff
- Works directly with the DOD to identify and cultivate potential donors (individuals and businesses) in the community and state, seeking innovative ways of getting or keeping them invested in our mission
- With the assistance of the Development Team, identify corporate and foundation sponsors for events.
- With Development Team create unique virtual programming to accomplish fundraising goals in COVID-19 era.
- Participate in Family House events and support the Board activities as needed.
The Assistant Director of Development’s time should be allocated as follows:
- 45% Direct Fundraising – includes visits or virtual visits, calls, research and preparation, correspondence, appointment scheduling, stewardship and outreach
- 35% Grant Writing & Reporting
- 10% Assisting with Events and Planned Giving
- 10% Direct Mail and Planning, Administration and other development department needs
In addition to a strong commitment to the SECU Family House mission, this position requires a bachelor’s degree and at least 5 years of direct experience in nonprofit fundraising, preferably in running an annual campaign.
Required Experience and Skills:
- Experience in personal solicitation of gifts of $1,000 or more and in managing a portfolio of donors/prospects
- Strong verbal and written communication skills. Grant writing experience is a necessity.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite. Must be proficient in Excel, Adobe Creative Suite is desirable, Canva, Zoom and other virtual meeting platforms
- Proficiency in fundraising databases, preferably Raisers Edge
- Some off-hours work on evenings and weekends, and some travel required
- Physical demands for this position include sitting, standing, bending, walking, lifting and moving up to 20 lbs.
In addition, the successful candidate will:
- Thrive on face to face prospect and donor interactions
- Be a highly organized self-starter
- Execute assignments on a timely basis and within budget
As well as earning competitive wages, the successful candidate will be eligible for SECU Family House’s employee benefits program which features employer-paid employee-only medical insurance and long term disability insurance, Paid Time Off, and 401(k) plan with employer contribution after one year of service. Free parking.
Please send cover letter, resume and salary requirements to: Michele@secufamilyhouse.org
We will be accepting applications through August 26, 2020. Applicants should expect contact from us after that date. No phone calls, please.
Qualified candidates only please. This is not an entry-level position.
We are an equal opportunity employer.