Development & Communications Specialist Part Time (.75FTE)
Orange County Rape Crisis Center’s mission is to stop sexual violence and its impact through support, education, and advocacy. We envision a just and equitable world free of sexual violence and all other forms of oppression. Our values include professionalism, excellence, accessibility, social justice, community involvement, self-care, and empowerment.
The Development and Communications Specialist position is a part-time non-exempt position in accordance with the Fair Labor Standards Act at 30 hours per week and requires regular hours as well as occasional evenings and weekends with advance notice.
1. Donor Database Management
a) Manage the daily operation of OCRCC’s donor database, which tracks gift/financial, contacts, and biographical information on donors, community partners, and volunteers.
b) Oversee all donor gifts and acknowledgments, matching gift applications, online donations, pledge payments, in-kind donations, special projects, memorials/tributes, and other related donor tracking information in a timely matter.
c) Ensure the accuracy and integrity of the data, including input and output, technology management, and end-user training and support.
d) Prepare monthly reports for incoming donations.
e) Provide support to DCD by creating mailing lists and other reports as needed.
2. Development & Fundraising
a) Provide administrative and logistical support for OCRCC’s Annual Holiday Auction and other development projects and special events.
b) Assist Development & Communications Director in prospect identification, cultivation, and solicitation of major constituencies (individuals, corporations, civic and church groups, etc.) as needed.
c) Coordinate direct mail and online campaigns; oversee creation, print, mail, and fulfillment timelines with outside vendors to meet annual giving deadlines and goals.
d) Work with Development & Communications Director to develop strategies for list generation and segmentation.
e) Serve as a staff representative on the Development Committee) Help recruit, train, and supervise Development and Communications (PR, Marketing, Media) volunteers and interns as needed.
a) Coordinate social media and email outreach to connect with a wide range of people, including volunteers, donors, clients, and staff.
b) Work with the communications team to help maintain the database, website, and email marketing system.
c) Occasional staff assistance with content creation (Canva), and act as a final eye for staff-created content, to ensure consistency with our style guide.
d) Collaborate with staff on creating/updating collateral materials (brochures, newsletters, mailers, promotional emails, annual reports, etc.) and other marketing or event materials as needed.
e) Assist in monthly newsletter production including copy, design, and managing recipient lists.
f) Provide assistance in ensuring all outgoing communication is accurate, sensitive, and consistent with OCRCC’s mission, vision, and values.
g) Act as liaison for outsourced graphic design, photography, social media, video production, or other vendor services.
4. General Responsibilities:
a) Accomplish other tasks as determined by the Executive Director and Development & Communications Director.
b) Maintain positive community relations and answer community member inquiries around development and communications in a timely and gracious manner.
c) Work as a team member in order to achieve the mission of OCRCC.
d) Maintain appropriate standards of confidentiality.
e) Occasional Helpline coverage.
1. One to three years in development, communications, and CRM experience.
2. Strong computer and analytic skills and attention to detail. Proficiency in Microsoft Office products and CRM software (eTapestry or SalesForce preferred). Comfortable learning new software.
3. Social media platform management (Facebook, Instagram) and an interest in and commitment to monitoring the latest communications and events trends and emerging platforms.
4. Experience with WordPress.
5. Ability to interact and engage with funders, volunteers, and other supporters in a way that builds affinity for the organization.
6. Comfortable working with issues and survivors of sexual violence.
7. Experience communicating with people from diverse backgrounds.
8. Demonstration of cultural awareness, sensitivity, and competency.
1. Project and event coordination including planning, organization, prioritizing, resourcefulness, and vendor relations.
2. Experience with any of the following software: Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop (and/or other graphic software), and video editing.
3. Communications and storytelling skills, both written and oral, including the ability to write, edit, and proof written materials.
4. Experience with volunteer management.
5. Demonstrated effectiveness in working on teams to accomplish mutual goals.
6. Bilingual in English and Spanish.
Reports to: Development & Communications Director
Benefits Available: Health, life, and dental insurance;
Schedule: Monday through Friday, 9 am-4 pm – Flexible. Occasional evenings and weekends with advance notice. Currently remote
Salary: $28,500-30,000 starting range.
To Apply: Email a resume and cover letter in a single PDF to firstname.lastname@example.org
Orange County Rape Crisis Center is committed to fostering the leadership of people of r, Native people, immigrants and refugees, low-income people, LGBTQ+ and trans people, people with disabilities, survivors of sexual and/or domestic violence, and people living in the many intersections of these experiences. We strongly encourage people from these communities to apply and will not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, color, socioeconomic class, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, sex, religion, disability status, citizenship status, age, veteran status, or national origin