Director of Development and Communications
Come work with a passionate and dedicated team of nonprofit professionals working together to reduce homelessness and food insecurity in our community. Oak City Cares, which opened in 2019, is a multi-services hub serving our neighbors experiencing homelessness and food insecurity in downtown Raleigh, North Carolina.
We offer excellent benefits including medical, dental, and vision insurance, 401K and 401K employer match, generous holidays, life insurance, flexible spending, paid time off, sick time, and short and long-term disability.
The Oak City Cares Director of Development and Communications has the primary responsibility of leading all aspects of fundraising and communications for the organization. This includes the implementation of the fundraising and communications annual plans and activities. The person in this role is responsible for overseeing the administrative aspects of fundraising, development, and communications and the supervision of the Development Assistant for Oak City Cares, a multi-services hub for the homeless, in Raleigh, North Carolina.
This position is a Full-Time, in-person position with limited flexibility to occasionally work off-site when coordinated with the Executive Director.
The ideal candidate for this position is someone with extensive communications experience, previous experience in fundraising and grant writing, and the ability to lead and grow current development operations.
• Lead the implementation of the existing annual fund development plan in conjunction with the Resource Development Team
• Research and secure grants for the organization; plan, write, and submit grant proposals
• Lead the development of the year-end direct mail appeal
• Lead donor stewardship efforts, donor retention, and donor acquisition
• Plan, coordinate, and implement the Annual Fundraising Event each Spring
• Intentionally engage the board of directors in securing donations and participating in special events
• Ensure all gifts and pledges are processed and acknowledged accurately and promptly, and that all gifts are properly documented
• Provide reports and materials for development committee meetings, and prepare materials for tours and visits
Communications and Marketing:
• Develop and implement an annual communications plan with targets, goals, and strategies designed to achieve organizational goals
• Manage website content and make necessary updates regularly
• Review, finalize, and send out a monthly newsletter
• Maintain an active social networking presence consistent with the agency’s messaging
• Design and disseminate all development materials, including event invitations, quarterly or annual appeal, and communications materials
• Maintain brand consistency across all marketing materials
• Develop and distribute press releases and maintain proactive engagement with media
• Supervise the Development Assistant to ensure goals are met and data is accurately recorded
• Provide key fundraising information needed for the preparation of the annual budget • Create reports to analyze and measure the progress toward the fundraising goals and the fundraising campaigns’ effectiveness
• Ensure database maintenance and clean-up projects to improve data integrity and database performance
• Review monthly fundraising reconciliation reports alongside Development Assistant, Finance/Admin team
Bachelor’s Degree; 4-6 years of work experience; extensive communications experience, and preference for a minimum of 3 years of development experience
• Strong leadership skills and proven ability to lead a team to achieve established goals
• Exceptional interpersonal skills with the ability to passionately engage donors in our mission and our work
• Exceptional organizational skills with the ability to work both autonomously and with a team
• Outstanding written and verbal communication skills
• Ability to multi-task and adjust to seasonal or event-related fluctuations in workload
• Proficiency with Microsoft Word, Excel, Photoshop, Canva, Publisher, and other graphic design software
• Previous experience with fundraising database programs (data entry and reporting)
• Must contribute to a culture based upon respect, teamwork, and collaboration
• Adaptability, creativity, and a passion for individuals and families struggling with poverty and homelessness are a must
Special Requirements: Valid NC Driver’s License and a vehicle in working order for business use. Authorized to work in the U.S.
*Job responsibilities may involve travel and some work beyond the regularly scheduled workdays, i.e., weekends and evenings as scheduled, and as needed.
Salary Range: $60,000-$78,000 dependent upon experience
To Apply: Please send a resume and cover letter with salary requirements to email@example.com