Director of Development
About NC State University:
North Carolina State University (NC State) was founded in 1887 with the purpose of creating economic, societal, and intellectual prosperity for the people of North Carolina and beyond. Today it is the largest university in North Carolina with more than 37,000 high-performing students, 8,000 pre-eminent faculty and staff, and over 260,000 living alumni. NC State excels in science, technology, engineering and math, and is also at the forefront of teaching and research in agriculture, business, design, education, humanities and social sciences, natural resources, textiles and veterinary medicine. The university consistently ranks among the top public universities in a variety of categories and programs and is widely considered one of the best values in higher education.
Position Description/General Scope of Duties: At NC State, we have 40+ Major Gift Officers who work centrally and within the colleges who are responsible for identifying, cultivating, and soliciting major and planned gifts from key stakeholders including individuals, corporations, organizations, and philanthropic foundations in support of all components of NC State.
Essential Job Duties:
● Identification, qualification, cultivation, and solicitation of prospects to create and grow a pipeline of major gift donors ($50,000 and above)
● Strategic development and management of a portfolio with approximately 150 prospects and donors capable of making a major gift.
● Conduct 120+ personal meetings with prospects and donors annually and participate in 10+ solicitations annually
● Creation and implementation of comprehensive strategies to leverage networks and maximize fundraising results in assigned geographic regions.
● Collaboration with advancement colleagues, academic partners and other stakeholders to align donors’ philanthropic interests with campus priorities.
● Coordination of stewardship efforts as needed with appropriate University Advancement and other campus colleagues.
● Identification, coordination and management of key volunteers in assigned geographic regions.
● Attend a variety of events throughout the year including some nights and weekends.
● Regular local travel and some regional/out-of-state travel is required for this position.
● Other duties as assigned.
Proposed Minimum Education/Experience:
● A bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university is required as well as three or more years of progressive responsibility and experience in frontline fundraising or related fields such as sales, wealth management or alumni relations and engagement.
Department Required Skills:
● Familiarity with the principles, practices and ethics of fundraising
● Ability to build and maintain positive and effective internal and external relationships, as part of a team in a large, complex organization
● Experience in cold calling, negotiating, and closing business deals
● Excellent written and verbal communication skills; ability to effectively articulate the case for support
● Ability to manage multiple and competing priorities and meet deadlines in a dynamic environment
● Strong organizational and analytical skills, with a high attention to detail
● Self-motivated and self-starting
● Computer literacy
Preferred Qualifications & Experience:
● Advanced degree and 5 or more years of major gift fundraising experience
● Proven fundraising success, including ability to evaluate, qualify and move prospects through the cultivation/solicitation cycle
● Experience and familiarity with higher education fundraising
● Volunteer management experience
● Familiarity with NC State University
Required License or Certification:
● A valid North Carolina Driver’s License is required within 60 days of start date. Must be maintained as a condition of employment.
Valid Driver’s License Required: Yes
Application Materials Required: Please attach a resume, cover letter, and contact information for three professional references.
Salary Range: $90,000 – $100,000 annually
NC State has retained Capital Development Services (CapDev) to assist with recruitment for this position. Candidates must provide a cover letter, resume, and list of three references. All materials will be kept confidential. Additional inquiries may be directed to Jen Tozier at Cap Dev.