Essential Job Duties
Reporting directly to the Executive Director of Central Major Gifts or designee, the Director of Development is responsible for identifying, qualifying, soliciting, and stewarding major gift donors to NC State University. This position will serve as a part of University Development’s team, and will focus on specific assigned regions in an effort to maximize support to all areas of the University in conjunction with the Think & Do the Extraordinary Campaign. As appropriate, the Director will also identify and coordinate the management of key volunteers in assigned regions. The Director will be expected to manage a portfolio of discovery and actively managed prospects while also collaborating with fundraising colleagues across campus. We anticipate multiple hires from this search.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Identification, qualification, cultivation and solicitation of prospects to create and grow a pipeline of major gift ($50,000 and above) donors.
- Strategic development and management of a portfolio with approximately 150 prospects and donors capable of making gifts of $50,000 or more.
- Conduct 144 personal meetings with prospects and donors annually and participate in 12 solicitations annually
- Creation and implementation of comprehensive strategies to leverage networks and maximize fundraising results in assigned geographic regions.
- Identification, coordination and management of key volunteers in assigned geographic regions.
- Collaboration with colleagues to help align donors’ philanthropic interests with various priorities across campus.
- Coordination of stewardship efforts as needed with appropriate University Advancement and other campus colleagues.
- Perform other duties as required or assigned. Attend a variety of events throughout the year. Regular travel (local and out of state) and occasional night and weekend work is required for this position.
- Perform other duties as required or assigned.
- Attend a variety of events throughout the year.
- Regular travel and occasional night and weekend work is required.
Minimum Education and Experience
- Post-baccalaureate credentials or Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university and at least three or more years of experience in major gift fundraising or a closely related field (such as sales or wealth management); a proven track record of success securing five and six-figure gifts.
Other Required Qualifications
Department Required Skills and Qualifications:
- Demonstrated record of success in generating significant annual, major and planned giving commitments
- Knowledge of principles, practices and ethics of fundraising
- Ability to work well with faculty, administrators, volunteers, and colleagues as part of a team in a large, complex organization
- Ability to build collegial and effective internal and external relationships
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to advocate institutional priorities to an external audience
- Strong organizational and analytical skills, with a high attention to detail
- Ability to manage multiple and competing priorities and meet deadlines in a dynamic environment
- Experience in cold calling, negotiating, and closing business deals
- Self-motivated and self-starting
- Good listener
- Optimism, perseverance and a positive attitude
- Computer literacy
Preferred Experience, Credentials, Qualifications:
- Five or more years of experience in fundraising, preferably in higher education.
- Volunteer management experience
- Prior experience in a comprehensive capital campaign
- An understanding of the land grant, research Tier One university environment.
- Familiarity with NC State University
Required License(s) or Certification(s)
- A valid North Carolina Driver’s License is required within 60 days of start date. Must be maintained as a condition of employment.
Link to Apply: https://jobs.ncsu.edu/postings/148209