Position: Grant Writer
MiracleFeet is a global nonprofit working to eliminate a leading cause of physical disability worldwide. Over two million children live with the severe consequences of a treatable birth defect known as clubfoot, and 200,000 more babies are born with it every year. Thanks to a non-surgical solution called the Ponseti method, 95 percent of cases can be fully treated for less than $500. Since 2010, MiracleFeet has scaled this proven, low-cost treatment to 29 countries where children previously had limited or no access to care. Still, today fewer than one in five children has access to treatment.
MiracleFeet plans to raise $22M in gifts and future pledges over the next 4 years, in order to grow its annual operating budget from $8M to $13M per year by 2026. To get there, we are pursuing significant growth in funding from all donor segments, with a focus on major institutional donors, including corporate, foundation, and government entities. MiracleFeet’s fundraising team is seeking a Grant Writer to support this growth by conducting thorough research on major institutional donors in the global health sector and identifying new funding opportunities in support of our long-term strategic plan. The Grant Writer will be a critical contributor to the team’s objectives by conducting daily surveillance of prospects to identify grant opportunities, researching grant requirements and specifications, identifying synergies with global health funders, and synthesizing research findings into tangible, actionable steps for the fundraising team.
This position will also provide heavy support writing persuasive and compelling content for proposals, reports, and other fundraising initiatives, which will convey the impact of donor support for MiracleFeet’s programs and long-term plan to eliminate clubfoot disability. The ideal candidate will have exceptional writing, editing, and project management skills; experience creating and adapting content to appeal to a variety of audiences; and experience conducting thorough and thoughtful research.
This position will report to the Senior Grants Officer, and is a full-time, exempt position. Candidates may be based in MiracleFeet’s Chapel Hill, NC office, or work remotely if located outside of NC.
- Research and identify prospective global health funders and institutional donors whose priorities and initiatives align with MiracleFeet’s mission
- Daily surveillance of major funding prospects, including searching for RFPs on social media, websites, and newsletters
- Maintain a prospect research database with updated information on key prospects’ focus areas, application processes, grant cycles, and other relevant information
- Stay abreast of trends in philanthropy and global health as well as best practices for nonprofit fundraising
Preparation of Written Content
- Write clear and compelling content for proposals, grant applications, concept notes, and reports
- Conduct final read-throughs to edit and revise a variety of written content to meet donor expectations
- Maintain a reporting and renewal calendar to support the fundraising team’s workflow
- Perform other duties as assigned
Note: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work to be performed by the individual in this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of the position. Employees may have other duties assigned at any time.
- Bachelor’s degree
- At least three years of professional work experience, ideally in nonprofits, fundraising, communications, creative writing, and/or a related area.
- Experience working in deadline-driven environments
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Exceptional written communication skills and a demonstrated ability to write clear, structured, articulate, and persuasive content
- Strong editing and proof-reading skills
- Strong critical-thinking and investigative research skills, with the ability to synthesize research findings to make recommendations for next steps for funding opportunities worth pursuing
- Highly organized with excellent time-management and prioritization skills
- Demonstrated ability to work with a high degree of autonomy and accountability, specifically in regard to managing deliverables and meeting deadlines
- An eye for creating efficiencies and keeping track of details
- Good listener with strong ability to internalize key messaging and language
- Experience using constituent relationship management software and database systems preferred
- Experience in nonprofits, international development, global health, or related issues preferred
- Salary range $45,000-$50,000
- Health insurance provided
- Three weeks of vacation per year
- Optional dental and vision insurance
- 401K plan available; employer match offered
- Life insurance and disability insurance provided
Please submit your detailed cover letter and resume here.
Once you submit your application, you should receive a notification confirming your materials were received. If you do not receive this automatic message, please contact email@example.com. We also recommend you add firstname.lastname@example.org to your contact list to ensure delivery of all correspondence from us. Please no phone calls.
Applications will be accepted until May 6th, 2022, or until the position is filled. The anticipated start date is mid- to late-June. MiracleFeet is committed to creating a diverse environment and actively encourages candidates from diverse backgrounds to apply. The qualifications above are illustrative of the type of candidate we are looking for, but we encourage you to apply even if you do not meet all the items listed above.
MiracleFeet is an equal opportunity employer and considers applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, marital or veteran status, sexual orientation, or any other legally protected status.
MiracleFeet is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and expects all employees to share this commitment.
MiracleFeet is committed to our organizational values Collaboration, Ambition, Integrity, and Justice. We demonstrate collective behaviors that make us unique
For additional information, refer to our website: www.miraclefeet.org.