Director of Development and Communications
Meals on Wheels Durham (MOWD) seeks a Director of Development and Communications to lead its county-wide efforts in fulfilling its mission of enhancing the quality of life for seniors, people with disabilities, and other eligible community members who are unable to provide proper nutrition for themselves by delivering meals, offering personal interactions, and providing other complimentary services.
Meals on Wheels Durham was founded in 1975 and is an active and respected affiliate of Meals on Wheels America. It currently serves more than 550 Durham County residents each week – over 130,000 meals in the last year alone. There continue to be significant unmet needs. Durham County has more than 60,000 residents age 60 and older. Based on income level, approximately 12,600 of those residents are at risk of food insecurity. We are looking for a strategic and compassionate fund development professional to support the organization’s efforts and ensure there are resources so more people can be served.
MOWD has a board of 11, a staff of 8, and over 250 dedicated and passionate volunteers. Its operating budget of $1,050,000 is funded through government contracts (48%), private pay clients (7%), private donations (31%), and foundations (14%).
MOWD was one of 384 nonprofits that philanthropist Mackenzie Scott vetted and supported at the end of 2020. This investment will provide even greater support to an already strong organization to address the growing needs of the community.
MOWD is in Durham, the heart of a vibrant, complex, diverse, and fast-growing county of approximately 283,000. Durham is part of the larger Research Triangle region of North Carolina, with a metro population of over 2,100,000. Durham and the Triangle are consistently cited among the country’s best places to live and do business.
To learn more about Meals on Wheels Durham, visit: www.MOWdurham.org
Position Highlights and Responsibilities
The Director of Development and Communications will work in collaboration with the Executive Director to create and implement a strategic, diversified, and comprehensive approach to fundraising and development to support the organization’s mission. He/she is tasked with creating a development plan that includes innovative approaches to the cultivation, solicitation, tracking, and stewardship of individuals, businesses, foundations, government, and other organizations. In addition, the Director of Development and Communications will also be responsible for overseeing the marketing and communications of Meals on Wheels Durham to the community-at-large to drive brand awareness and greater engagement.
We encourage you to apply if you have a demonstrated ability to:
- Speak passionately about the value of Meals on Wheels in the community.
- Bring a positive attitude and have a high Emotional IQ.
- Develop and ensure a well-organized, effective development office, fundraising systems, and record keeping.
- Create and implement both traditional and creative fundraising and marketing strategies to advance the organization’s resource development efforts and profile in the community.
- Motivate and inspire others – donors, staff, board members, and volunteers.
- Identify, cultivate, engage, and steward existing and new donors to grow support for the mission.
- Utilize well-developed interpersonal skills including the ability to build and sustain authentic relationships with diverse constituencies with integrity, warmth, and humor.
- Think strategically and execute on details.
- Work independently and collaboratively as a team with a high degree of accountability and accuracy.
- Write copy and develop inspiring and engaging communications materials across all written modes and online platforms.
Major Areas of Responsibilities:
Strategic Fund Development:
- Work with the Executive Director to champion and evaluate all fundraising activities through a comprehensive development plan to ensure the achievement of annual contributed revenue goals.
- Research prospects, write grant applications, and coordinate grant reporting with other Meals on Wheels Durham staff for donations, sponsorships, and grants, both cash and in-kind.
- Each month, initiate and personally participate in 6-8 unique, one-on-one cultivation or donation solicitation meetings with prospective or current donors, involving Executive Director and Board members as needed.
- Develop and oversees fundraising events, including re-imaging the annual black-tie gala.
- Write inspiring copy and oversee design, print production, and mailing of all collateral and communications for fundraising solicitations, special events, annual reports, special invitations, and donor correspondence.
- Ensure effective stewardship of donors and grantors, meeting all deadlines and reporting requirements.
- Foster a joyful culture of philanthropy within the organization.
Communication and Marketing:
- Oversee the Communications Manager to execute all aspects of public relations and marketing.
- Ensure the positive integration of marketing and development in building and sustaining a strong donor and volunteer base.
- Supervises design and print production of Meals on Wheels Durham marketing materials and advertising. Assist other departments in achieving consistent branding.
Supervision and Administration:
- Hire and supervise a Communications Manager.
- Supervise periodic contractors, volunteers, and interns.
- Prepare regular reports of activity and accomplishments.
- Develop and administer the annual budget, work-plan, and cash flow projections.
Institutional Leadership, Interaction, and Planning:
- Serve as the staff leader of the Development Committee and attend Board meetings as needed.
- Participate in general staff meetings, providing input for decisions.
- Develop knowledge of and interaction with diverse audiences, communities, and clients, identifying and communicating needs to senior management and Executive Director.
- Represent Meals on Wheels Durham on select community committees, groups, and/or panels.
Education and Certifications:
B.A. or B.S. college degree or comparable experience. CFRE preferred.
Minimum of 5 years progressively responsible fund development experience. Proven track record of planning, directing, managing, and implementing a comparable, successful non-profit development and communications program, including direct solicitation and special events marketing experience is required. The candidate must demonstrate the ability to communicate and engage with a diverse community of supporters and participants. Proficient in Microsoft Office, Google Docs, and a general understanding and prior use of a donor database system and other tracking databases.
Salary and Benefits:
This is a full-time, exempt position. The salary being offered for this position is $60,000-$65,000 and is commensurate with experience. Meals on Wheels Durham offers a benefits package for full-time employees that includes employee medical insurance, 403b, 12 paid holidays, paid time off, and group fitness.
Armstrong McGuire & Associates, based in North Carolina, is conducting this search in partnership with Meals on Wheels Durham. To apply, visit www.armstrongmcguire.com/apply. You will see instructions for uploading your cover letter, resume, and professional references. In case of any technical problems, contact email@example.com. No phone calls please, and no applications will be accepted by email or through third-party sites. The preferred application deadline is February 21st, 2021 but applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
Meals on Wheels Durham is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages applicants that come from a variety of backgrounds that reflect the vibrant diversity of our community.
Additional writing samples and a short presentation will be required from finalists. Reference and background checks will be conducted before a final offer is made.