Legal Aid of North Carolina (LANC) seeks a Development Associate to assist in fundraising efforts. The Development Associate will sit in the Triangle but will work with donors and volunteers across the state. The successful candidate will perform well in a dynamic environment to support our annual fundraising campaign. This position will report to the Director of Development in Charlotte and work with the Major Gifts Officer in the Triangle.
Historically, the bulk of funding for LANC has come from grants, public funding, and private support from attorneys. LANC recognizes that its mission resonates with people and organizations that care about economic mobility and justice for all. The Development Associate will help communicate this mission. Currently, $1,000,000 of LANC’s budget is raised from individuals, law firms, and corporations each year.
This position is ideal for a self-starter looking for an entrepreneurial opportunity. The Development Associate will work closely with the fundraising and public relations team.
- Assist the Director of Development with annual campaigns including:
- multiple mailings
- email asks
- assistance with board reporting as needed
- designing and updating annual appeals
- creating annual report
- Manage all the data for the Access to Justice campaign, including maintaining the e-tapestry database
- Process donations including data entry, check deposits, and sending acknowledgments
- Maintain the monthly email newsletter for supporters which includes creating content and managing donor/volunteer/supporter email addresses )
- Create content for fundraising for social media
- Help manage Legal Aid’s online profiles on GuideStar, employee giving profiles, and other miscellaneous online fundraising tasks
- Assist with annual events
- Bachelor’s degree
- 2 years development experience
- Proven track record of success in meeting fundraising goals
- Comfortable and able to communicate with diverse donors and volunteers
- Team player with strong interpersonal skills
- Exercise creative and critical thinking
- Excellent content writer
- Adept at managing donor data
- Self-motivated, independent worker
- Passionate about equity, justice, and helping those living in poverty
- Ability to use Excel and Word
- Preferred Qualifications: Photoshop and InDesign experience. Graphic design skills for choosing stock photos, laying out appeals, and communicating with printers.
About Legal Aid of North Carolina
Legal Aid of North Carolina provides free legal help to families in crisis in all 100 counties of North Carolina. We remove legal barriers to economic stability and serve between 60,000 – 70,000 people a year. At Legal Aid of North Carolina, we believe that access to justice is a right – not a privilege for only those who can afford it. Today in our courts, in three out of four civil cases one side isn’t represented by an attorney. When the most vulnerable are alone in court, they can be robbed of their dignity and trapped in cycles of poverty, violence and poor health. At Legal Aid, we balance the scales of justice in civil court and push back against systems that can be exploitative and dehumanizing. Our advocates summon the strength to represent people in civil court who have the scales of racial, social and economic justice woefully tilted against them. Our services increase access to justice, housing, healthcare, education and economic stability for those who struggle to make ends meet. The majority of our clients are facing a housing injustice or are escaping domestic violence. Learn more about our work at legalaidnc.org.