Judea Reform Congregation seeks an energetic, experienced, and personable Development Coordinator to support a culture of philanthropy at Judea Reform Congregation. This position is a key administrative team member who will support all fundraising functions of the synagogue and work closely with the Executive Director, the Rabbi, the Development Committee, lay leaders, and a wide range of congregants to accomplish the synagogue’s fundraising goals. This team member will be organized, efficient, handle multiple projects and deadlines, multi-task, have excellent time management skills, and thrive in a high paced environment. Excellent verbal and written communication skills are necessary as well as the ability to “tell stories” that communicate the values of the institution. The successful candidate will be proficient at and willing to learn technology for tracking projects and managing information. Desktop publishing, excel, and presentation technology is used regularly. This is a new position in the organization and the successful candidate will be a key partner in shaping and implementing this role and eager for professional growth. An appreciation for the diverse roles that a synagogue plays in a Jewish community is beneficial.
Key areas of responsibilities include:
Coordinate all areas of development work in collaboration with the Executive Director. This position reports to the Executive Director.
Manage the following initiatives with clear goal setting, reporting, and tracking.
● Annual Appeal
● Special Fundraising Initiatives
● Grant Funding Opportunities
● Donor Cultivation, Recognition and Stewardship
Oversee production of and ensure consistent branding and messaging in a variety of digital and print publications including, but not limited to:
● Collateral materials: strategic content for videos, testimonials, case
● Annual Report: Annual Communication piece including congregation
financial information, donor rolls and summary of the year in images, data,
● Newsletters: Tzedakah Times, bi-monthly digital e-newsletter
Utilize systems necessary to support a robust development program.
● Work closely with Business Manager to understand and utilize the
proprietary membership management software, ShulCloud.
● Tracking campaigns and initiatives. Generate reports to assist in research, goal setting, and analyzing trends.
Donor Recognition & Stewardship
● Coordinate process for acknowledgment and recognition of donors.
● Write, send, and track acknowledgement letters to donors and
● Create and implement cultivation, stewardship and recognition
opportunities for existing and potential donors as well as foundations.
● Create stewardship opportunities for individual donors and foundations.
● Maintain communication with all funding sources, including grantees,
foundations and organizations.
● Manage and implement yearly recognition events for donor cohorts,
including Legacy Donors and Circles of Honor Donors.
● Other duties, as identified and assigned
Qualifications and Skills
● Experience in non-profit development; membership-based organization a plus
● Must possess exemplary written and verbal skills
● Ability to multi-task and prioritize in a fast-paced environment
● Ability to interact positively with members of the staff, synagogue
community, and others
● Proficiency with basic computer and online skills, including Google Suite
and other communication platforms.
● Comfort and ability to create, read and manipulate spreadsheets.
● Tenacious attention to detail, even under tight deadlines
● Ability to analyze and resolve problems/situations demonstrating sound
judgment and common sense, with the humility of knowing when to ask
● Professional, diplomatic, and discreet with confidential matters
Desired but not necessary:
● Knowledge of synagogue life, Judaism and the Jewish holiday cycle.
● Bachelor’s degree
● 3-5 years equivalent work experience preferred
Compensation and Benefits:
● Starting salary $41,000; range based on experience
● Full-time, exempt position, working 40 hours per week.
● Ability to work nights and weekends, as needed.
● Full benefit package: medical and dental insurance with Judea Reform
Congregation covering 100% of the costs of insurance for employee.
About Judea Reform Congregation: Judea Reform Congregation (JRC) is a vibrant, welcoming, inclusive Reform Jewish synagogue community where Jews and their families in the Durham and Chapel Hill area gather to worship, learn, serve, and actively engage in the sacred traditions of our shared heritage. The congregation was founded in 1961 and serves nearly 600 families in the Durham/Chapel Hill and surrounding areas. (https://www.judeareform.org/)
To apply: Please submit a cover letter and resume to Jodi Lampley, Executive Assistant, email@example.com (Subject Line: Development Coordinator). Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
No phone calls, please.
Judea Reform Congregation is an equal opportunity employer. We value a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture. Judea Reform encourages applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, physical ability, or veteran status.