Reporting to the Director of Philanthropy (DOP), the Philanthropy Associate will play a significant role in supporting Hill Learning Center’s fundraising efforts. This position will work across the organization and be part of a collaborative, cross-functional Philanthropy Team that is responsible for Hill Learning Center communications, fundraising, partnership development, and special events.
The Philanthropy Associate will both provide support for the DOP in executing on a comprehensive Philanthropy Plan and hold primary responsibilities of their own including event management, database management, gift entry and acknowledgment, direct mail, and prospect research. This is an ideal position for an individual interested in advancing their career in philanthropy.
Our candidate is a self-starter with excellent relationship building skills, a head for data, and the ability to juggle tasks and timelines effectively with outstanding organizational skills. Our ideal candidate is equally comfortable and confident working with data as working with people.
Summary Description: The Philanthropy Associate plays an important role in day-to-day philanthropy functions creating and sustaining excellent donor relations, engaging diverse community members, and providing outstanding support for the department. The Philanthropy Associate will hold key responsibilities in fundraising including direct mail and online appeals, sponsorship outreach, fundraising event management, prospect research, reporting, data entry, data management and data interpretation, gift entry and acknowledgment, and generating accurate queries from Raisers Edge for a variety of purposes.
1. Support the Director of Philanthropy
- Serve as the primary assistant to the Director of Philanthropy in managing and executing the day-to-day operations of the Philanthropy Department towards an annual goal of $1,250,000+ in contributed revenue
- Apply excellent administrative skills to organizing, tracking, filing, and entering information pertinent to the functioning of the department
- Serve as an active prospect identifier, targeting prospects for cultivation and making connections between and among people, events, and programs
- Generate ethical donor research to summarize relevant information and prioritization of cultivation and stewardship activities into prospect profiles
2. Annual fund and gift processing
- Execute direct mail activities in support of the annual fund including accurate segmentation to specified constituencies
- Execute special campaigns in support of the annual fund
- Manage and execute appropriate acknowledgment protocols
- Collaborate with colleagues across departments to carry out strategies and activities to increase donor and member value, loyalty, and engagement
- Collaborate with the Finance Department in providing timely reconciliation of contributed revenue
- Assist with the development and/or preparation of printed materials, digital materials, meeting information, and special event items as needed
3. Donor Database Management
- Accurately track and report on fundraising metrics including acquisition, new gifts, recurring gifts, restricted funding, % of gift increases, % attrition, and other relevant metrics
- Enter gift and donor information into Raiser’s Edge database in a timely and accurate manner
- Execute data cleansing protocols at regular intervals
- Improve coding of information in the donor database
- Effectively utilize Raiser’s Edge and Raiser’s Edge NXT in support of fundraising activities
- Provide monthly and quarterly reporting through gift summaries and dashboards on fundraising progress for Directors, Leadership Team, and Trustees
- Enter information and create actions for specific donors in Raisers Edge and other tracking templates
4. Manage special events
- Hold primary responsibility for planning, managing and superbly executing fundraising events in support of student financial aid, requiring dedicated focus and cross-team collaboration throughout the school year.
- Assist and support other donor and engagement events as assigned.
5. Engage in all Philanthropy Department and All Hill responsibilities:
- Actively participate in the Philanthropy Department and all Hill meetings, events, and committees.
- Build collaborative working relationships across All Hill while enhancing knowledge of all facets of the organization.
- Advance Hill culture, core values, and commitment to Diversity, Equity & Inclusion and identify ways to contribute, build community, and support others beyond individual and team responsibilities.
- Understand Hill programs and team structures
- Support administrative tasks of philanthropy departments, such as managing meeting notes and mailing schedules
- Perform other duties as assigned
- 3-5 years’ experience in fundraising positions
- Must embrace the mission and programs of Hill Learning Center
- A self-starter who can identify problems, opportunities, solutions, and new ways of doing things, with a “pitch in where needed” disposition
- Motivated by and experience with relationship-building, collaboration, teamwork, and donor relations
- Demonstrated success setting, tracking, and achieving goals
- Ability to communicate and relate effectively orally and in writing
- High degree of ability with data management, manipulation, and reporting
- Strong attention to detail and commitment to high-quality deliverables
- Lifelong learner who is highly flexible and comfortable with change, growth, and possibility
- Commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion and experience successfully navigating differences and building authentic relationships
- Expertise with Raisers Edge software
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite
- Willingness to travel and work evenings and weekends as required
- Flexibility to work on-site at Hill in Durham, NC and at-home as conditions and responsibilities allow and require. Hill is currently operating primarily remotely and anticipates a phased return on-site throughout 2021. Going forward, this position will likely have a mix of on-site and remote work requirements.
Applications will be taken until the position is hired. Interviews will begin in January 2021.
About Hill Learning Center:
Founded in 1977, Hill Learning Center aspires to be a hub for equitable and differentiated, research-based practices for supporting students with learning differences and attention challenges. Through a range of K-12 student and educator programs and strategic partnerships with leaders in the field, Hill works to ensure students with learning and attention challenges receive the instruction and support they need, regardless of where they attend school or whether they have a formal diagnosis.
Hill grounds our work in our Core Values and commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
We Learn We are lifelong learners. We approach all that we do with a growth mindset and a commitment to continuous learning and improvement. We learn from our students, our colleagues, other educators, and our partners. We seek out and embrace new ideas while remaining true to strategies we know work.
We Empower We empower students to take charge of their own learning and lives. We empower teachers to use their knowledge, skills, and creativity to lead students to success. We empower staff to discover new and better ways of doing things.
We Reach We strive to reach an ever-increasing number of students, teachers, and schools to support their growth and success. We partner to extend our reach, expand our expertise, and learn from others. We challenge and support students, teachers, our partners, and our colleagues to reach their full potential.
We Relate We develop personal relationships with students, parents, teachers, colleagues, and partners. We empathize. We listen. We communicate. We collaborate. We connect. We relate.
We Care We care about students and their families. We care about teachers. We care about each other. We care about making a difference in students’ lives, in schools and school districts, and in our community.
Diversity, Equity & Inclusion Statement
Hill believes every student needs success.
We honor and value each individual.
We celebrate differences and diversity.
We are stronger when we are inclusive.
We strive for equity in all we do.