The Opportunity | High Point University
Founded in 1924, the then High Point College consisted of three partially completed buildings, nine faculty members, and a student enrollment of 122. Today the University has expanded to over 500 acres, is attractively landscaped, the full-time faculty numbers nearly 300, and approximately 5,600 students are enrolled in a wide variety of undergraduate and graduate programs. Much has changed over the years; however, High Point University’s mission to deliver educational experiences that enlighten, challenge, and prepare students to lead lives of significance in complex global communities has remained constant.
Position Summary| Advancement Officer
High Point University is an extraordinary and unique environment. The Office of Institutional Advancement seeks to partner with a development professional whose values and purpose align with those at HPU and who desires to identify, cultivate, solicit and steward major gift benefactors for the highest priorities of High Point University. Candidates should have a proven track record of success in development/fundraising or sales/business, and skilled at working collaboratively with team members to help achieve goals. Extensive travel will be required to meet with prospective and current donors.
Candidates should demonstrate a high degree of emotional intelligence and interpersonal skills. They should be goals and outcomes oriented with excellent relationship building skills.
• Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution required.
Experience and Training
• A minimum of three years successful sales, business development, or fundraising experience, with a demonstrable record of progressive achievement.
• Basic knowledge of Raiser’s Edge or other CRM software.
Knowledge, Skills, Ability
• Demonstrated leadership skills and ability to think and plan strategically.
• Possess a high degree of emotional intelligence and interpersonal skills.
• Enthusiasm for the mission of High Point University.
• Enthusiasm for sales/business development/fundraising.
• Exceptional interpersonal skills.
• High energy, drive, integrity, sincerity.
• Exceptional written and oral communication skills.
Essential Functions | Advancement Officer
• Embrace and articulate the mission and culture of High Point University and possess a strong working knowledge of its programs and departments.
• Embrace the job of fundraising for High Point University.
• Meet and exceed annual fundraising goals established by the Senior Vice President, Assistant Vice President for Development, and Director of Major Gifts in conjunction and collaboration with the Advancement Officer.
• Proactively identify potential leadership and major gift benefactors (including donors to annual giving clubs, as well donors capable of making gifts in excess of $50,000) among alumni, parents, staff, faculty, friends and other sources. Meet with, solicit, and close gifts from these donor prospects in order to meet annually established fundraising totals.
• Collaborate with senior leadership to plan strategy for top-level donors and develop proposals which align with the University’s top priorities and fit benefactor interests.
• Manage prospect portfolio of current and potential major gift benefactors in a disciplined, organized manner, consulting with the Assistant Vice President for Development, Director of Major Gifts, and other team members regarding strategy, development and action plan for solicitation, closure and stewardship.
• Participate as a member of the University’s overall Institutional Advancement organization in the execution of a comprehensive Institutional Advancement program.
• Must be able to perform tasks on own initiative.
• Ability and willingness to travel extensively and work weekends.
• Complete call reports on all prospect and donor interactions.
High Point University has retained Capital Development Services to assist with professional recruitment. Candidates should include a cover letter, a resume, and a list of three references. All material will be kept confidential. Additional inquiries may be directed to Jen Tozier at Capital Development Services, email@example.com or 336-747-0133 x 208.