Habitat for Humanity of Orange County is seeking a Major Gifts Officer with a passion for creating affordable housing and a successful track record of managing and growing successful fundraising programs. The Major Gifts Officer reports to the Vice President of Development and will serve as a vital member of the Development team. They will be responsible for ensuring that all fundraising and communications activities for major donors ($2,500 and up) are utilizing best practices in reaching ambitious fundraising goals and providing excellent stewardship for donors.
With the future public launch of the comprehensive capital campaign Weavers Grove: Strengthening the Fabric of our Community, the Major Gifts Officer will play a critical major gift and annual fundraising role. This effort will require a dedicated Major Gifts Officer who can support Orange Habitat’s leadership and volunteers with the identification, cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship of campaign donors through all the phases of the Campaign to a successful conclusion.
Responsibilities include the following:
Major Gift Pipeline Management and Solicitation
- Facilitate weekly major gifts meeting with the VP of Development, the CEO, and other members of the development team;
- Build and manage the major donor prospect list, ensure that information is being tracked on a timely basis, and that progress toward goals is tracked and monitored;
- Assist with donor screening to help identify new major donor prospects and manage the screening process and input of data;
- Identify and track new prospects through referrals, research, and outreach.
- Carry a donor portfolio of 50-100 donors with the potential of making a major gift
- Oversee the planned giving program, including solicitation of long-time donors for planned and estate gifts
Donor Recognition and Stewardship
- Ensure appropriate donor acknowledgment and stewardship
- Track naming opportunities and plan for appropriate donor recognition opportunities, as appropriate;
- Work with staff responsible for gift processing and finance to ensure proper recording, allocation, documentation, acknowledgment, stewardship, and analysis of major gifts and pledges; and
- Provide timely reports to the VP of Development and the CEO to keep updated on progress.
Capital Campaign Coordination and Support
- Help implement the campaign plan including special fundraising strategies, initiatives, and appeals to meet campaign goals;
- Ensure that proposals, solicitation materials, and other campaign materials are prepared and submitted in a timely and accurate fashion to campaign volunteers;
- Help prep volunteers and staff for solicitation calls, including preparing donor packets;
- Encourage and support volunteers on a timely and ongoing basis;
- Create a standard prospect profile to be used when a volunteer is going out on a call;
- Schedule Campaign Steering Committee meetings;
- Develop and manage a campaign dashboard that tracks major campaign data points;
- Ensure ongoing communication with Campaign Steering Committee leadership and staff so that campaign updates and reporting are consistent, accurate, and timely; and
- Assist with planning specific fundraising and cultivation events as part of the phases of the Campaign.
- Is a passionate and informed advocate for Habitat and serves as one of the key spokespersons for the organization. Looks for opportunities (or positions the CEO or other key leadership) to attend community events or serve on community panels or initiatives that position the organization for improved fundraising or visibility.
- Exceptional planning skills; goal, results, and detail-oriented with the ability to set and meet deadlines.
- Enthusiastic and skilled networker who enjoys getting out into the community, attending events, and participating in civic groups and activities that position the organization for success.
- Commitment to diversity and a history of working effectively with colleagues, volunteers, prospects, and donors irrespective of their economic status, ethnicity, gender identity, educational level, or sexual orientation.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral; ability to influence and engage a wide range of donors and key stakeholders and build long-term relationships.
- Comfortable with Habitat homeowners as well as corporate executives and people of wealth.
- Can clearly and effectively articulate Habitat’s case for support using a combination of the homeowner, volunteer, and donor stories and facts/figures related to need and impact.
- Knowledge of customer relationship management (CRM) systems preferred.
- Some local travel is required.
This is a full-time position and will require some work on nights and weekends for events.
In one document, please send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by individuals assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of the position. All employees may have other duties assigned at any time.
We are an equal opportunity employer. Applications are considered for positions without regard to veteran status, uniformed service member status, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, genetic information, or any other category protected by applicable federal, state, or local laws.
THIS COMPANY IS AN AT-WILL EMPLOYER AS ALLOWED BY APPLICABLE STATE LAW.
THIS MEANS THAT REGARDLESS OF ANY PROVISION IN THIS APPLICATION, IF HIRED, THE COMPANY OR I MAY TERMINATE THE EMPLOYMENT RELATIONSHIP AT ANY TIME, FOR ANY REASON, WITH OR WITHOUT CAUSE OR NOTICE.