Durham Community Land Trustees, Inc. is a community-based nonprofit organization with a mission to build strong communities by developing, managing and advocating for permanently affordable housing that offers Durham residents with low and moderate incomes a stable foundation for achieving economic security.
We provide decent, energy efficient homes to over 350 households in Durham to a wide-range of individuals and families in need of affordable housing.
About the Development/Communication Manager
This person is solely responsible for grant writing, maintaining and managing the donor information systems to ensure that all donor records are complete and accurate, direct communication with donors, preparing acknowledgment letters, creating development reports and dashboards, analyzing donor data to identify development trends, conduct research on current and prospective donors, and other related activities.
Responsibilities and Allocation
Development/Grant Management (40%)
- Identify and cultivate government, corporate or foundation grant and loan funding.
- Identify and cultivate individual donor contributions including planned giving opportunities utilizing creative fundraising strategies.
- Support the ED, develop strong relationships with foundation contacts, developing grant proposals and coordinating with program staff.
- Plan and drive grant calendar to ensure that all application and reporting information is completed on time for the appropriate grant cycles.
- Research funder requirements and approaches to ensure effective applications over time
- Work with program staff for timely and accurate reporting on grants.
- Develop and oversee implementation of Communication Plan.
- Oversee website content, modify as needed.
- Work with ED go develop and implement new DCLT branding efforts.
- Enhance DCLT’s external exposure via website, social media platform, print, signage and decor.
Planning & Reporting (15%)
- In conjunction with ED, create annual Resource Development Plan, including budgets, priorities and fundraising activity.
- Maintain and drive all aspects of fundraising/development calendar.
- Develop systems for tracking, reporting and evaluation progress toward goals.
- Maintain system to keep key staff and board members fully informed of fundraising progress on a regular basis.
Special Events (5%)
- Plan and execute all fundraising events, including the annual spring anniversary event, Annual Meeting of Membership, house parties and major donor cultivation events. Some travel will be required.
- Responsible for all logistics, budget management and evaluation of events
- Work with ED to secure sponsorships and matching opportunities for events.
- Assist program staff with program related events when necessary.
The ideal candidate will be organized, self-directed and an excellent communicator, and will meet most of the following qualifications:
- Passion for affordable housing, and a firm belief in the mission of the organization.
- Exceptional one-on-one communication skills; professional and personal demeanor.
- Comfort with and willingness to solicit major gifts including planned giving.
- Creative and strategic with demonstrated leadership skills.
- Exceptional writing and editing skills, especially in the development of grants, membership appeals and outreach materials.
- 2-3 years of demonstrated fundraising experience, particularly as a major gifts officer.
- Documented success in managing non-profit membership and grant programs.
- Experience planning major fundraising events.
- Ability to motivate staff and board members to reach development goals.
- Computer proficiency on Word, Excel, and familiarity with donor software. Experience with Network for Good, Salesforce and In-Design is a plus.
- Bachelor’s Degree in related field or equivalent experience; min. 3-5 years’ experience using and managing donor management software systems
Compensation and Benefits
- Salary: Competitive. Negotiable.
- Part-time hours, approximately 20 – 25 hours per week, projected full-time within 6 months.
- Position is not subject to company benefits until a full-time position.
- DCLT will provide appropriate work space work equipment needed to perform responsibilities.
Send Cover Letter and Resume to: email@example.com andinclude Development/Communication Manager in the title.