Democracy North Carolina (Democracy NC) works to strengthen democratic structures, build power in disenfranchised communities, and inspire confidence in a transformed political process that works for all. Through grassroots organizing, policy advocacy and research, and strategic communications, the nonpartisan organization aims to protect and advance voting access, ensure fair representation, and increase the participation of those historically underrepresented in the political process, especially people of color. For 30 years, this 501(c)3 nonprofit (and its predecessor, Democracy South) has taken on powerful institutions and politicians, regardless of party, and promoted reforms that expand public involvement in civic life. Democracy NC works closely and in coalition with reform-minded local, state, and national partners to achieve the policy outcomes and grassroots participation necessary for a just and equitable democracy.
The Development Director is responsible for designing and implementing the organization’s fundraising strategy, including foundation grants, major donors, online and direct mail appeals, and events. The person holding this position will also be expected to develop new strategies to expand the organization’s donor base and overall giving, including by reaching a donor base that reflects the constituencies Democracy NC seeks to serve. The Development Director reports to Executive Leadership and serves on the organization’s leadership team. The person holding this position will also be responsible for supervising two full-time employees, a Development Manager and Development Associate, and coordinating other staff and board members to assist with fundraising strategies. The position is based in the organization’s Morrisville office.
Development Strategy and Execution
● Sets development goals, targets, and strategies and implements an annual development plan and calendar accounting for grants, individual giving at all levels, online and mail solicitations, events, and more.
● Monitors metrics, as well as trends in the field of fundraising, and adapts strategies as needed.
Grants and Foundation Giving
● Leads grant application and report writing with input from executive leadership and program staff
● Develops and stewards relationships with key grant institutions in coordination with executive leadership
● Maintains the calendar of foundation grants and reports Major Donor Solicitation, Engagement, and Stewardship
● Responsible for attracting, retaining, and cultivating major donors, including donor-advised funds.
● Develops and oversees a comprehensive engagement strategy to attract and retain individual donors, including integrating fundraising into organizational campaigns and activities.
● Coordinates the work of staff, board members, and other volunteers, to attract and
steward major donors.
Board and Staff Engagement
● Engages the Board of Directors and staff to expand the donor network and ensure that donors are connected to all aspects of the organization.
● Responsible for supporting and training the Board’s Development Committee.
Team Management and Organizational Leadership
● Supervises Development Manager (Individual and Major Gifts) and Development Associate.
● Serves on the organization’s management team with other department directors and executive leadership.
● With support from staff, develops and implements a departmental budget.
● Builds and maintains fundraising systems for the organization, including database and data integrity, acknowledgment systems, donor communications, reporting, and other systems and organizational habits as needed.
● Participates in the organization’s annual budgeting process.
● Manages fundraising events to attract and retain donors and oversees fundraising aspects of other events. Secures and manages relationships with event sponsors.
● At least four years of experience planning, leading, and managing development in a nonprofit, with a preference for advocacy-oriented nonprofits with budgets in the $3-5 million range.
● A record of successfully raising funds from national and state-based foundations through grant discovery, writing, and reporting. Experience in establishing, growing, and maintaining relationships with grant-giving institutions.
● A record of successfully raising funds from individual donors, including those that give $1000 or more, and through programs that engage donors at all levels.
Skills and Attributes
● Skills in establishing and cultivating strong relationships with foundations, donors, volunteers, and staff.
● Excellent writing skills and ability to create powerful and compelling written content for both foundation grants and other fundraising communications. Ability to convey complex ideas through brief, simple materials.
● Aptitude and enthusiasm for strategic challenges that will involve building infrastructure for the development program, growing and diversifying the organization’s donor base, and integrating grassroots and other new strategies into fundraising planning.
● Excellent interpersonal skills and effectiveness in working with, and leading, a team to plan and achieve shared goals. Ability to multi-task and manage multiple projects at once.
● A deep understanding of systems for tracking metrics.
● An entrepreneurial spirit that takes initiative and embraces creativity and innovation.
● Ability to travel and work some evenings and weekends.
● Commitment to Democracy NC’s mission and values, including race and gender equity in the workplace; ability and willingness to work with diverse groups, including low-income North Carolinians, people of color, and residents of varying political ideologies; and in diverse settings, including both rural and urban environments.
Salary: $78,000-$88,000 commensurate with experience
● Medical, dental, and vision insurance with 100% employee premium coverage and 50% premium coverage for domestic partner/spouse and/or children.
● Health Reimbursement Arrangement for out-of-pocket medical expenses up to 76% for employees and 38% for covered family members
● Free telehealth for all employees and family members
● Employer-provided life insurance and ADD
● 9 paid holidays + 1-week office closure at the end of the year, and 30 days of paid time off per year
● 403(b) retirement option with employer contribution
● Individual and team professional development opportunities
● Casual, flexible work environment with a commitment to employee wellbeing and work/life balance, currently operating as a hybrid in-person/remote
● For specific questions about Democracy NC’s benefits, please contact Hannah James
(HR Associate) at firstname.lastname@example.org
Please send the following to email@example.com with the subject line “Development Director” and your name (no phone calls please):
● Cover letter with an overview of your professional background and interest in the position
● Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis with a priority deadline of July 21. The role will remain open until filled.
● Applicants whose skills and qualifications most closely match the needs of this role will be invited to interview with Democracy NC staff.
● We hope to extend a job offer to one candidate in August.
● Job offers are contingent upon successful completion of a reference and background checks. Only prior convictions that risk the safety of our staff or the security of the organization will be considered disqualifying.
Should you require any accommodation during the application process, please indicate this on your application and we will work with you to meet your accessibility needs. For any questions, suggestions, or required documents regarding accessibility in a different format, please contact Hannah James (HR Associate) at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Democracy North Carolina is an equal opportunity employer committed to workplace equity through ongoing learning, discussion, investment in training, and continual recommitment to our core values. Our organization considers applicants equally of race, color, creed, religion, sex, national origin, disability, marital status, age, gender, gender identity, disability, sexual orientation, or prior record of arrest or conviction. We seek a workplace that reflects and embraces the full range of the nation and state’s diversity.