Democracy North Carolina (Democracy NC) works to strengthen democratic structures, build power in disenfranchised communities, and inspire confidence in a transformed political process that works for all. Through grassroots organizing, policy advocacy and research, and strategic communications, the nonpartisan organization aims to protect and advance voting access, ensure fair representation, and increase the participation of those historically underrepresented in the political process, especially people of color. For nearly 30 years, this 501(c)3 nonprofit (and its predecessor, Democracy South) has taken on powerful institutions and politicians, regardless of party, and promoted reforms that expand public involvement in civic life. Democracy NC works closely and in coalition with reform-minded local, state, and national partners to achieve the policy outcomes and grassroots participation necessary for a just and equitable democracy.
The Development Database Associate provides support to meet annual fundraising goals. The position combines donor communications and coordination with the operational requirements of an electronic fundraising database. The person in this role works closely with a Senior Development Consultant and Individual and Major Giving Contractor to implement a development calendar and reporting plan and works cooperatively with all staff to ensure efficient completion of assigned responsibilities and tasks. The position involves administrative work, fundraising activity, assistance with grant writing and reporting, and EveryAction database management. Additionally, the Development Database Associate is directly involved in special events logistics and implementation, currently virtual.
Donor Communication and Administrative Fundraising Activity (50%)
- Prepare gift acknowledgement and renewal letters for mailing and ensure quality and accuracy; coordinate with development volunteers
- Communicate with donors regarding financial transaction management/credit cards and general inquiries sent to the Development inbox.
- Facilitate campaigns with direction from Development Director; draft appeal letters; communicate with Communications team and mailhouse to ensure the smooth and effective deliverability of mail and email campaigns.
- Support executive leadership on drafting grant applications and reports, pulling in materials and support from Programs staff as needed; adhere to strict deadlines.
- Maintain the organization of the Development Drive.
- Assist the Development department with other tasks as needed
EveryAction Donor Database Management (40%)
- Serve as in-house donor database expert, develop consistent systems and share responsibility with other organizational teams for database content and outputs; troubleshoot technical questions.
- Maintain the accuracy of donor records; ensure individual records are updated with regard to contact preferences, new addresses and other contact details; ensure that staff correspondences with donors gets recorded in a timely manner.
- Routinely and accurately enter gifts that come through direct mail, DAFs, grants, and other giving portals (ActBlue, Benevity, etc); coordinate with the accounting manager to reconcile revenue.
- Prepare lists and reports in EveryAction database; create accurate lists for donor segmentation to be used in future campaigns; provide revenue reports for staff and board meetings as requested; evaluate campaigns by attributing revenue to specific appeals.
- Maintain a donor database manual for all staff.
- Research new fundraising capabilities within the database to grow our donor base and sustainer donor program.
Special Event Management (10%)
- Work with the Director of Development and others to ensure successful events, assuming major responsibility for event details, logistics, and “day of” volunteer management.
- Assure details regarding event components are documented in the donor database.
- Assist with post-event follow up including reporting on revenue, donor engagement, new donor acquisition; providing support for donor engagement activities, mailings, and new donor stewardship.
Experience and Qualifications
- Minimum 2 years of nonprofit fundraising or related experience
- Minimum 1 year experience administering an industry database (EveryAction, Salsa, Donorperfect or similar products)
- Experience communicating with diverse stakeholders in a variety of formats (written, email, face-to-face); has stewarded respectful relationships with donors of a variety of backgrounds
- Competency in managing Customer Relationship Management (CRM) systems
- Competency in Microsoft Office Suite (Excel experience required), Google Suite, and social media channels
- Experience developing strong, respectful relationships with co-workers, especially when it comes to learning about the organization’s programmatic work
Skills and Attributes
- Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills
- Strong organizational skills and high-level attention to detail
- Ability to self-motivate, work with both close direction and independently, function well as a team member, and know when to seek guidance or get help
- Ability to maintain confidentiality, and respect rules, policies and practices
- Ability to communicate effectively about the organization’s mission, vision, priorities, and issues
- Deep commitment to participatory democracy and racial, social, and economic justice
Salary: This is a full-time, salaried position. Salary range is $45,000 to $53,000 depending on prior experience. Benefits include organization paid medical, dental, vision, telehealth and life insurance. Paid holidays and six weeks PTO. Opportunity to participate in the organization’s retirement plan.
Please send the following to firstname.lastname@example.org (no phone calls please):
- Please put Development Database Associate and Your Name in the subject line;
- Cover letter with an overview of your professional background and interest in the position;
- Names and contact information for three references who can speak to your experience and skills.