Democracy NC works to strengthen democratic structures, build power in disenfranchised communities, and inspire confidence in a transformed political process that works for all. We aim to protect and advance voting access and ensure fair representation through grassroots organizing, policy advocacy, research, and strategic communications. Notably, we seek to increase the participation of those historically underrepresented in the political process, especially people of color. We work closely with a coalition of reform-minded local, state, and national partners to achieve the policy outcomes and grassroots participation necessary for a just and equitable society. We believe that democracy is possible and worth the work.
The Development Manager is responsible for cultivating and soliciting major gifts, managing the organization’s giving programs, implementing a dynamic fundraising strategy, researching new prospective donors, and supporting the organization in its mission to advocate for the voters of North Carolina. This person will be tasked with managing a portfolio of existing and prospective donors, focusing on major gifts.
The Development Manager reports to the Development Director. The position is based in Morrisville, NC.
Major Donor Cultivation & Solicitation
● Advance high-level relationships with major donors, funders, and stakeholders.
● Identify, cultivate, solicit, and steward large gifts ($1,000 – $2,499).
● Prepare online and direct mail appeals, including informational materials needed to secure large gifts.
● Collaborate with the Development Team to reach individual giving and grant funding goals.
Giving Program Management
● Support Democracy NC’s giving programs, including annual campaigns, sustaining commitments, major donor programs, and legacy gifts.
● Manage the organization’s online fundraising operation and track gifts through the donor database.
● Oversee organizational fundraising reporting infrastructure and produce regular reports.
● Coordinate individual gift acknowledgments and measure the overall success of giving programs.
Fundraising Strategy, Research & Outreach
● Research prospective donors and implement sustainable ways to increase overall funding.
● Provide critical information and regular updates to donors and stakeholders.
● Diversify the organization’s grassroots donor base and convert first-time and lapsed donors.
● Implement internal department goals, objectives, and strategies.
● Minimum 3 years experience planning and leading nonprofit development efforts (preferably with advocacy-oriented organizations with budgets of $2 million or more.)
● Strong record of cultivating, soliciting, and obtaining major gifts from a diverse donor base.
● Experience engaging donors at all giving levels and building lasting relationships with stakeholders.
● Commitment to Democracy NC’s mission and values, including race and gender equity in the workplace; ability and willingness to work with diverse groups, including low-income North Carolinians, people of color, and residents of varying political ideologies; in both rural and urban environments.
● Excellent interpersonal skills, including verbal and written communication.
● Ability to communicate the organization’s mission and programs to donors and targeted audiences.
● Experience working with a team to plan and achieve shared goals.
● Ability to convey complex ideas through concise and compelling fundraising communications.
● Experience managing multiple projects at once and working well under pressure.
● Ability to represent the organization in a professional and positive manner.
● Ability to travel and work some evenings and weekends.
Salary & Benefits
This is a full-time, salaried position. The salary range is $58,500 – $65,000 based on prior experience.
● Medical, dental, and vision insurance with 100% employee premium coverage and 50% premium coverage for domestic partner/spouse and/or children.
● Health Reimbursement Arrangement for out-of-pocket medical expenses up to 76% for employees and 38% for covered family members.
● Free telehealth for all employees and family members.
● Employer-provided life insurance and ADD.
● 9 paid holidays + 1-week office closure at the end of the year, and 30 days paid time off per year
● 403(b) retirement option with employer contribution.
● Individual and team professional development opportunities.
● Casual, flexible work environment with a commitment to employee wellbeing and work/life balance, currently operating as hybrid in-person/remote.
● For specific questions about Democracy NC’s benefits, please contact Hannah James (HR Associate) at email@example.com.
Please send the following to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Development Manager” and your name (no phone calls please):
● Cover letter with an overview of your professional background and interest in the position
● In your email, please share how you first learned about this position
● Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis with a priority deadline of December 1, 2022. The role will remain open until filled.
● Applicants whose skills and qualifications most closely match the needs of this role will be invited to interview with a small panel of Democracy NC staff in December.
● Job offers are contingent upon the successful completion of a reference and background checks.
● Only prior convictions that risk the safety of our staff or the security of the organization will be considered disqualifying.
Should you require any accommodation during the application process, please indicate this on your application and we will work with you to meet your accessibility needs. For any questions, suggestions, or required documents regarding accessibility in a different format, please contact HR Associate, Hannah James at email@example.com.
Democracy NC is an equal opportunity employer committed to workplace equity through ongoing learning, discussion, investment in training, and continual recommitment to our core values. Our organization considers applicants equally of race, color, creed, religion, sex, national origin, disability, marital status, age, gender, gender identity, disability, sexual orientation, or prior record of arrest or conviction. We seek a workplace that reflects and embraces the full range of the nation and state’s diversity.