Director of Development & Community Relations
Reports To: Executive Director
Job Location: Wilmington, NC
Position Type: Exempt, full-time
Benefits: Medical, dental, and vision insurance covered in part by the employer; 401k plan with company match; life insurance, short-term disability, cell phone stipend, PTO, and Paid Holidays.
Overview of Position: The Director of Development & Community Relations is responsible for cultivating and soliciting funding from prospective donors, renewing and increasing giving from current donors and all veteran organizations. This position will lead all fundraising efforts for the organization. The Director of Development & Community Relations must be capable of leading a team of volunteers, managing events, working independently, and representing the organization with high levels of professionalism and integrity. In this senior position, the Director of Development & Community Relations works closely with the Executive Director. The successful candidate will demonstrate a wide range of development skills, including project management, partnership development, and a track record of securing both small and large donations from all constituencies.
Duties and Responsibilites
- Seeks, cultivates, and solicits individual, corporate, and foundation partnerships.
- Plans and executes tours, presentations, and meetings with potential donors, sponsors, and supporters.
- Responsible for soliciting major gifts and donor stewardship.
- Works closely with the Board of Directors on matters related to fundraising and development.
- Recruits, motivates, and leads the Board Fundraising Committee.
- Designs and executes annual giving campaigns.
- Oversees major fundraising events and develops third-party fundraisers.
- Creates marketing materials for events and programs.
Community Relations, Grant Acquisition and Donor Management
- Responsible for overseeing a part-time grant writer position who is responsible for researching, writing, and submitting grant applications.
- Maintains good standing with grant and family foundations, ensuring grant reporting and requirements are followed.
- Oversees the management of the donor database and ensures updates are completed by the Administrative Coordinator in a timely and accurate manner.
- Identifies and cultivates new and existing donors for increased giving and campaigns.
- Manages and creates content for the organization’s social media accounts.
- Writes and designs monthly corporate communications, including the e-newsletter.
- Works with various media channels on both a local and national level to increase organizational exposure and brand awareness.
- Represents the organization at presentations in the community, meetings, or conferences.
- Attends meetings, webinars, and other professional development/community networking events.
- Minimum of a bachelor’s degree in a relevant field and five years of fundraising or related experience.
- Proven track record of soliciting donations and experience in related fields such as communications, public relations, marketing, or sales. Nonprofit experience is preferred.
- Successful grant writing experience.
- Experience working with veterans and individuals with disabilities is preferred.
Skills and Abilities
- Excellent interpersonal, oral, verbal, and written communication skills with an aptitude for public speaking.
- Strong organizational skills with the ability to handle multiple tasks and meet deadlines.
- Must possess sound business judgment, exercise professional conduct, understand and follow business ethics and standards, and maintain a high level of confidentiality in all duties.
- Ability to communicate effectively with staff, donors, clients, volunteers, and the public.
- An organized self-starter, with strong multi-tasking, prioritizing, and follow-through skills.
- Ability to work independently as well as to network, direct, and motivate others.
- Action-oriented and eager to embrace new opportunities and tough challenges with a sense of urgency, high energy, and enthusiasm.
- Adept at creating partnerships and working collaboratively with others to meet shared objectives and goals.
- Awareness, understanding, and accountability for financial performance including planning, budgeting, and forecasting.
- Believes in the mission of Canines for Service, is passionate and communicative about the cause, and encourages innovation and growth.
- Strong awareness of disability etiquette.
- Computer proficiency, including familiarity with all MS Office products and database management.
- Must be able to lift forty pounds and safely and comfortably handle active large breed dogs weighing up to 90 pounds.
Canines for Services is in Wilmington, NC, and operates out of two 5,000-square-foot facilities. The job requires individuals to work within a dog training facility and a professional office environment. Employees will work in proximity to all types and breeds of dogs. The work environment is a non-smoking environment. Local travel, such as travel to dog and client outings is expected. Out-of-state or in-state travel may be required to assist clients with training and re-certifications of the dog/client team.
Position Type and Expected Hours of Work
This is a full-time, Exempt position consisting of 40 hours of work per week. Regular days and hours of work are Monday- Friday from 8:30 AM – 5:00 AM, but these hours may be adjusted depending on the needs of the Organization. This position will require working weekends and holidays as needed. The salary range for this position is $52,000 to $60,000 annually.
Interested applicants should submit a cover letter, resume, writing sample, and three references to Bethany Leighton at firstname.lastname@example.org.