TITLE: Marketing Associate
DEPARTMENT: Resource Development and Marketing (RDM)
REPORTS TO: VP, Resource Development & Marketing (VP)
FLSA STATUS: Non-exempt, Salaried
This position is fulltime, non-exempt. It requires experience using social media and digital assets to improve brand awareness and grow a donor base. The ideal candidate will bring creativity to the agency’s marketing strategies, providing fresh ideas to engage online audiences. S/he will have some graphic design ability and web design experience to continually refresh the agency’s online presence. S/he will be able to learn from and take advantage of BGCA.net marketing resources and proactively investigate and propose design and strategy enhancements. This candidate must engage productively with club personnel and Members to capture stories, photos and video for marketing purposes. Position holds primary responsibility for annual report production and creating new external engagement tools including a newsletter and website blog. S/he will also assist on event planning, manage community engagement events, lead tours. The successful candidate will proactively build the organization’s media relations efforts. The position requires a positive attitude and high-energy personality to work effectively with board and development volunteers.
- Provide support to the VP regarding the agency’s external communications.
- Serve as development staff point person on agency web site development, social media presence, print communications and coordination of fundraising and community engagement events.
Resource Development Planning & Implementation
- Assist the VP in building a robust marketing program:
- Develop and implement marketing and public relations strategies incorporating Boys & Girls Clubs of America’s marketing tools. Create and continually update portions of the Communications Plan and communications calendar.
- Produce external communications that support agency goals for growth in the number and size of donors and donations.
- Produce external communications that support agency goals for membership growth.
- Identify and produce stories (print, photos, videos) to convey the Club’s effectiveness.
- Continually assess the agency’s digital and print assets and propose improvements.
- Assist the VP in building a marketing/communications budget to support growth goals.
- Build productive internal relationships with Club staff, volunteers, and Members to ensure the highest quality, and most current and accurate story telling in our marketing.
- Build external relationships such as media, consultants, vendors and professional peers to ensure use of best practice in our marketing and communications.
Marketing and Public Relations
- Serve as development point person on creating and implementing marketing and public relations strategies to increase public understanding of our programs and impact.
- Assist VP in creating and maintaining a communications plan and related calendars.
- Work with Club staff to create a portfolio of stories and metrics to demonstrate our programmatic effectiveness and impact.
- Work with development staff to plan and implement digital and print marketing and fundraising campaigns.
- Serve as lead on digital marketing strategies such as web site design, SEO/SEM, email, social media and display advertising.
- Maintain and grow organization-wide and club-specific social media presence across multiple digital channels
- Measure and report on the performance of digital marketing initiatives.
- Assist VP with media outreach and engagement.
Internal: Maintain contact with staff and volunteers for the exchange of stories and other marketing content.
External: Maintain contact with alumni and their families, community leaders, media contacts, vendors, consultants and others in the community to share information and build marketing assets.
SKILLS & KNOWLEDGE REQUIRED:
- Bachelor’s degree in marketing, communications or related field from an accredited college or university.
- A minimum of 2 years’ work experience in relevant communications activities.
- Strong written communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to work well with all types of people.
- Understanding of media relations and digital media strategies
- Proficient in MS Office; familiarity with graphic design software such as Photoshop
- Experience with email and social media campaigns
- Knowledge of website analytics tools and website design in WordPress
- Flexible and adaptable work style with ability to manage competing demands and work independently without close oversight.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENT / WORK ENVIRONMENT:
This is an administrative position requiring an engaged presence in an office environment as well as the ability to meet with agency staff at their locations and with donors for site visits. It requires the ability to operate standard office equipment. Requires some evening and weekend work for special events within Wake County.
NOTE: The above responsibilities reflect the general nature and level of work expected of employees in this classification. It is not a comprehensive inventory of all duties or expectations. Boys and Girls Club staff are a team; there are no silos. While our job descriptions specify primary responsibilities necessary for accountability, everyone’s job includes doing Whatever it Takes to serve our members and support our teammates. Some evening and weekend hours will be required.
John C. Welch
Vice President, Resource Development and Marketing