Position: Development Officer
Reports to: Executive Directors
Location: Greensboro, NC
The Beloved Community Center (BCC), founded in Greensboro in 1991, is primarily a “place-based” community-building organization with state and national reach. In 2021, the Beloved Community Center is poised to deepen and broaden its important organizing for racial and economic justice in Greensboro, and on state and national levels. BCC led Greensboro to organize the nation’s first Truth and Community Reconciliation process, drawing from international models. BCC is currently working with partners and constituents toward the development of a North Carolina Truth, Justice, and Reconciliation process to serve as a model and resource for emerging national truth formations. In this important moment, BCC is searching for a development officer to work as a key part of our growing executive team. From day one, the development officer will have an immediate impact on our productivity — streamlining strategic fundraising initiatives, overseeing the organizational fundraising program, and ensuring internal communication channels related to fundraising are open – to facilitate a scaling-up of our work. The ideal candidate will have proven experience in a management role, with a strong understanding of racial and economic justice organizing.
Objectives of this Role
- Serve on the executive leadership team, designing and leading a strategic fundraising strategy to support BCC’s long term vision, purpose and agenda, while being mentored by the current co-directors.
- Develop and maintain productive relationships with existing key funders and cultivate new partnerships and relationships to attract new donors.
- Design and implement a structure for tracking fundraising efforts to achieve fundraising and financial objectives and outcomes.
Daily and Monthly Responsibilities
- Develop and execute the BCC’s overall development strategy and an annual fundraising plan for a diverse, sustainable institutional and individual donor base
- Steward relationships to secure financial support from individuals, foundations and corporations
- Manage the implementation of a donor tracking software and oversee staff responsible for data entry and gift processing to maintain accurate and timely records.
- With the Communications Officer, and Operations Officer, design regular communications other stewardship activities with major donors and other supporters
- Oversee operational plans to produce special events, set event goals and fundraising targets.
- Develop and track proposals and reports for all foundation and corporate fundraising
- Protect the integrity of the BCC mission and brand while engaging in development initiatives.
- Oversee and manage monthly revenue against projections and report out to the leadership team on a regular basis.
- Participate on board committees where appropriate.
Skills and Qualifications
- BA (required)
- Five+ years progressive development experience
- Excellent team building skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Experience managing databases and working with fundraising software
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to effectively and efficiently manage several detail-oriented projects simultaneously
- Proven track record of planning and implementing successful fundraising strategies
- Exceptional interpersonal and communication skills with the ability to gain the confidence of a wide range of internal and external constituents.
- Experience with community organizing
- Established relationships with individual donors, corporate donors, foundations and public sector funding
- Open to being “on the ground” in Greensboro within a year of accepting the position.
Benefits and Compensation
Salary Range: $70K – 90K, commensurate with experience. Flexible 40-hour week schedule; some weekend work required periodically. Preferred in-person work assignment, with remote options, especially during COVID-19 period. Generous personal and vacation leave time package provided.
Interested applicants should submit a cover letter, three (3) professional references, and resume to Julia Howell Barros, Search Consultant at email@example.com.