Location: Raleigh, NC
Immediate Opening September 2023
The Development Manager is responsible for leading development strategy and operations in a professional and efficient manner, while working with a growth-mindset to support Artspace’s organizational goals. This position leads all fundraising activities, strategizes ways to achieve organizational contributed revenue goals, and ensures effective and timely communication with donors and prospects. This position will cultivate new relationships, nurture current relationships, and will help forge key external alliances by cultivating individual, corporate, and governmental philanthropic support. This position is supervised by the President + CEO, and works alongside them to achieve the organization’s development goals.
It is expected that the revenue will increase in future years as the Development Manager systematically and effectively strengthens the organization’s overall fundraising capacity. This position will manage the Graphic Design + Communications Coordinator, with the potential to add development staff as development goals are met and the organizational budget grows. This is an excellent opportunity for an outgoing development professional who has a proven track record of grassroots fundraising, major gifts management and strategic development planning to join a high-growth, mission-driven arts organization.
* This position is in a downtown Raleigh office environment. Most work will occur in the office and out in communities around the Triangle area. Some presence at events during evening and/or weekend hours is required.
- Work with the CEO and leadership to implement a comprehensive development strategy to include individual, corporate, and government grants
- Lead the development of annual campaigns including printed and digital materials, solicitation letters, progress and final reports.
- Collaborate with the leadership team, CEO and volunteer workgroup to coordinate and execute the annual fall fundraiser benefit, Art Bash, each year.
- Assist Director of Community Engagement with volunteer cultivation/engagement
- Coordinate the tracking systems and electronic files for major gifts, foundation grants, and corporate giving, including proposal and report calendars, and cultivation/stewardship systems.
- Collaborate with the CEO and Director of Operations to implement Artspace’s overall strategies for financial growth through ongoing planning and budgeting.
- Conduct prospect research on individuals, corporations, and foundations, and prepare research for prospect review meetings with the CEO.
- Organize the digital donor files and work with administrative assistant to maintain thorough and accurate records in the NEON-CRM donor database.
- Respond to donor requests including donations, and stock transfer information, and assist with benefits fulfillment and other donor needs.
- Monitor and report regularly on the progress of the development program, including the preparation of the development fundraising dashboards.
- Manage the Graphic Designer + Communications Coordinator to ensure continuity of messaging and to collect data for reports and applications.
- Have primary responsibility for development of grant strategy and shared responsibility in the execution of funding proposals and reporting; archive all proposals with a long-term relationship-management approach.
- Oversee research of funding sources and trends, with foresight, to help position Artspace ahead of major funding changes or trends.
- Perform other responsibilities or assignments as needed, including occasional evenings or weekends for events such as First Friday duty.
- 3-5 years of leadership experience with fundraising and non-profit organizations
- Experience cultivating strong donor relationships over time.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral; ability to influence and engage a wide range of donors and build long-term relationships.
- Strong research, analytical, and planning abilities; superior attention to detail.
- Ability to function at a high level under deadline pressure.
- Ability to present in front of stakeholders and communicate with a range of communities; including board members and individual donors.
- High positive energy and passion for Artspace’s mission are essential.
- Ability to construct and implement an annual strategic development plan.
- Demonstrated experience with budget development and management.
- Experience managing staff and working with volunteer board leadership.
- A professional and resourceful style; the ability to work independently and as a team player, take initiative, and manage multiple tasks and projects at a time.
- Proficiency in Microsoft, Google Suite and Zoom; CRM database management.
Artspace is a non-profit visual arts center located in the heart of downtown Raleigh. Our mission is to inspire positive community impact through art. We believe art should be celebrated and valued as an essential part of our vibrant and healthy community. As a home for creativity and social practice, Artspace offers artist residencies, exhibitions, arts education, and community-focused programming throughout the region.
Today, Artspace is one of the largest open-floor studio venues in the country, providing creative space to more than 30 studio artists working in a variety of media, along with three exhibition halls and education facilities for all ages and abilities. This hub of creativity is housed within our 30,000-square-foot historic building that is open to the public for learning, inspiration, and community collaboration. Artspace believes in supporting the development of artists of all ages and backgrounds by providing space to work and exhibit, opportunities to collaborate with fellow artists, community engagement opportunities, and professional development opportunities.
Artspace leaders have recently created visionary strategic goals for the organization. This position will be one of several key roles in support of these goals and offers an opportunity for a creative, motivated individual to become part of a dynamic team.
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
We believe that access to the arts is a right; one which has the power to create positive change in communities. Through education and engagement for people of all ages and abilities, community outreach and engagement, accessible studio space, and art exhibitions, Artspace works to remove the barriers that prejudice and privilege have created so that everyone in our community has equitable access to arts and culture.
Salary and Benefits
This is a full-time salaried position. The salary range is between $50,000 to $57,000, commensurate to experience. Benefits package includes full coverage health insurance through Blue Cross and Blue Shield of North Carolina, long-term disability, family leave, life insurance, and an optional 401(k) retirement plan, and optional dental insurance. All salaried employees also receive paid holidays in addition to a flexible paid time off policy, to encourage a healthy work environment.
How to Apply
Applications will be accepted by email and reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled. Emails should be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org. Materials should include a cover letter and resume. Additional materials and references may be requested of finalists. No phone calls, please.