Communications and Event Coordinator
About Habitat for Humanity of Orange County
Habitat for Humanity of Orange County (HHOC) is a non-profit organization that offers the opportunity for low-income Orange County families to purchase affordable homes. Since 1984, HHOC has built more than 270 homes locally and funded more than 170 homes internationally. HHOC is the local affiliate of Habitat for Humanity International.
The Communications and Event Coordinator is a member of the Development Team and also actively collaborates with the Construction and Family Services departments. This is a full time position, averaging 40 hours per week. The workweek is typically Monday to Friday. Work outside normal business hours, including weekends, is expected to accommodate our volunteers, partners, and special events.
In collaboration with the Director of Development, the Communications and Event Coordinator will carry out the Habitat mission by advancing organizational goals through planning and conducting all communication and marketing strategies and executing strategic events. The Communications and Event Coordinator will maintain the production of a full range of materials distributed through various communication channels that will effectively support the advancement goals of HHOC and to convey Habitat’s mission to diverse constituencies. HHOC is working to increase sources of funding and communications must be consistent, concise and well-written.
The Communications and Event Coordinator will be, above all, a project manager who understands marketing and promotion techniques. We want to see enthusiastic candidates with fresh ideas and the organizational skills required to not leave anything about an event or a project to chance.
The responsibilities of the Communications and Event Coordinator include, but are not limited to:
Writing and Graphic Design
- Produces all marketing collateral materials and activities such as brochures, displays, presentations, website, audio and video products, special events
- Oversees and writes development documents including: fundraising proposals to individuals, foundations and corporations; fund-raising publications; communications materials, such as press releases; case statements for cultivation, solicitation and acknowledgment letters; and other donor-related materials
- Assists with the writing and production of newsletters, e-letters and the annual report
- In conjunction with Development Associate, coordinate printing and mailing of direct mail campaigns and newsletters
- Monitor print and TV media for interesting connections to HHOC
- Draft press materials including press releases and media advisories
- Maintain and update media contact list
- Collect and maintain media clippings archive
Communications and Social Media
- Create and implement a comprehensive communications plan (including all print, on-line and, social media and event schedules)
- Develop and manage dynamic content for the organization’s website, including regular updates to ensure accuracy and timeliness of information
- Create content and design for monthly E-Newsletter
- Strengthen and expand the organization’s virtual presence by developing, scheduling, and evaluating new social media efforts
- Keep up to date list on important social media handles for partners, key donors, etc.
- Building strong relationships with partners including finding ways to co-promote our organizations
- Monitor social media for posts about HHOC, affordable housing or other related topics
- Use Google Analytics to track basic website usage and engagement statistics
- Maintain and broaden social networking to benefit the organization
- Organize community members to act as “ambassadors”
- In conjunction with Director of Development, oversee event management and planning from concept to execution including: facilitating the creation of event concept to developing a project/event plan, communicating with Events Committee, ensuring the plan is implemented on time and within budget
- Coordinate event logistics; determine customized marketing strategy for each event’s publicity, including public relations, advertising, and collateral material design, production and distribution.
- Make sure event concept and print materials are on message
- Creation of all visual elements and printed materials for the event
- Lead the planning and execution of events such as Home Dedications, House Party, Henry Clark Society luncheon, Women Build, CEO Build, and High Heels and Hard Hats Fashion Show
- Use a creative eye to decide the decoration for spaces, programs and other materials
- Facilitate post-mortem meetings with Event Planning team to develop best practices and examine any problems and analyze successes
- Propose ideas and changes for new events to attract attendees and increase attendee value.
- Develop and implement an annual communications plan for the affiliate
- Create an internal strategy to increase story-telling efforts throughout the organization
- Represent or coordinate representatives of Habitat for Humanity of Orange County at events and on camera as needed
- Visit active construction sites to photograph volunteers and partners (as required)
- Create system of organization for maintaining photographs in an easily accessible way
- Ensure that messaging of all communications and marketing materials are in strategic alignment
- Enthusiastic and should possess ability to create motivation amongst the employees
- A strong belief in the organization’s mission and vision
- Strong communications and marketing skills coupled with the ability to influence others in a positive manner
- Excellent writing, editing skills and problem-solving skills, as well as working knowledge of publication layout, design and graphics
- Ability to establish and maintain strong working relationships with others and to present ideas effectively, verbally and in writing
- Ability to manage multiple projects, meeting all deadlines, and exceptional attention to detail
- Advanced working knowledge of Windows and Microsoft Office
- Working knowledge of print, audio and video production methods
- Exceptional story-teller and writer
- Initiative and independence in carrying out responsibilities in addition to the ability to work as a team member
- Excellent organization skills with an ability to prioritize and manage multiple tasks and a variety of demands
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with people of diverse backgrounds and promote a positive working environment, spirit of cooperation and positive reactions to change and conflict resolution
Minimum Education and Experience Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in a related field
- Two years of relevant experience with graphic design, marketing and/or communications
- Two years’ experience in a non-profit organization is highly desired
- Experience executing successful fund-raising events, large and small
- Familiarity with non-profit organizations and fundraising techniques
Please send a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org by November 22, 2017.